advertisement

Jazz help

RickyC6

Infuriate the frog-men
Jazz dudes. Been noting some of the best artists on Sky FM - Modern jazz radio (yeah I know crap name) and need some album recommendations please. Principally Horace Silver and Eric Dolphy. Also who the hell is the drummer on Sun Ra's Realm Of Lightning? Actually there are several of them now. Sun Ra recs as well please!

Cheers

Rich

Recent Sun Ra thread. The discography is so huge, and varied, it's very hard to suggest somewhere to start.

Check out Moudry's discography:

http://www.dpo.uab.edu/~moudry/

Eric Dolphy: all of his records as a sideman with Mingus and Trane, that's his very best stuff IMO. Out To Lunch is his classic LP as leader. Horace Silver: anything on Blue Note is a very safe bet.

-- Ian

Cheers Ian

Probably got some Dolphy then on my Trane and Mingus records! I do get confused with these fellas moving around. Don't get that so much with punk bands.

Think I will take a stab at The Solar-Myth Approach Volume I as that track came from it. At least 6 potential percussionists according to the discog.

Cheers

Rich

Evan Parker sounds a bit of a crazy cat. Actually the scary stuff isn't sounding quite so scary nowadays.

Cheers

Rich

Evan is phenomenal, the greatest sax player Britain has ever produced, no question. Buy all of his records too :)

-- Ian

advertisement

Back