advertisement

Jays audio CD Transport Opinion

Seems that everyone today wants everything handed to them on a plate. In my opinion, the fun of audio is doing your own research and finding things out for yourself, by reading and talking to experts etc. You are not going to find all the answers by asking people on forums. You might get a few steers so you can then go off and find more out...
Bluffing can be very effective, except when everyone knows you are bluffing.

Back to talking about the Jays, i am in the market for a new CD Transport and considered the Jays Audio. I decided against it in the end. It's large physical size and short guarantee counted against it despite many positive reviews. I decided to go for a Pro-ject CD Box RS2 T instead, Smaller physical size, similar price, longer guarantee, new mechanism developed by ex philips employees. Steve Guttenburg compared the two in a U-tube review. It's arriving at the end of the month so i'll post some thoughts when i get it. I still have a CD player with a Philips CD-pro mechanism so the comparison should be interesting. I even have 2 copies of one of my CD's and may try a little blind test with a willing helper

Audiolab 6000 CDT vs this...

The Audiolab has a “memory buffer” similar to (to me) the best CD transport I’ve heard, the PS Audio Memory Player.
(Bit biased..have their top tier Preamp and Dac (with i2s input), their stuff takes no Prisoners.)

Anyone compared?

I have owned various transports inc cec tl0,cec 51x , several teacs with vrds, audio note, accuphase and many others. I can say that the Jays is head and shoulder s above the others. It has textural and harmonic correctness that few transports in my opinion will match and detail that I have yet to reach the end point for. It is matched with a nagra dac at present and i am still surprised by how it improves with every step up in dac quality.

Great to hear you are enjoying your new transport, the build quality does look impressive for the price.
You have had some very good transports in the past, very reassuring to hear it can out perform them.
Apart from the high end Narga DAC, what other DAC'S have you tried and which outputs did you use?

Back to talking about the Jays, i am in the market for a new CD Transport and considered the Jays Audio. I decided against it in the end. It's large physical size and short guarantee counted against it despite many positive reviews. I decided to go for a Pro-ject CD Box RS2 T instead, Smaller physical size, similar price, longer guarantee, new mechanism developed by ex philips employees. Steve Guttenburg compared the two in a U-tube review. It's arriving at the end of the month so i'll post some thoughts when i get it. I still have a CD player with a Philips CD-pro mechanism so the comparison should be interesting. I even have 2 copies of one of my CD's and may try a little blind test with a willing helper

I would love to hear your opinion on the RS2, very little information online about its performance!!

I have not had the chance to try the i2s connection as yet, although I am hoping to get the jays audio sig dac. I have had mytek brooklyn, meitner melior upgrade plus, last version of the Trichord Pulsar, Theta V balanced A version, most of the DPA dacs and Chevron audios special version, audio note dac 4 signature, Denafrips Terminator etc, my favourites have always been the pre 2005 DACS by a very significant margin

That is a very comprehensive list, I also did not know there was a Jays audio sig dac available.
I am also very interested in the Denafrips Avatar transport and Denafrips Terminator plus combination.
I think denafrips and Jays audio come from the same stable but at different price points.

by all accounts I would add the Gustard a22 to that list as well, never seen so many potentially wonderful sounding dacs appearing all in one go and all from China I might add at great prices.

I would not be supporting anything made in China right now and there are reasons why Chinese audio products are cheap...

Example: To produce certain finishes on audio products involves the use of extremely hazardous chemicals. These chemicals are banned from being used in the west because they have long term health effects to workers exposed to them. There are very few regulations in China to protect factory workers, unlike here and most western countries that all have to abide by strict health and safety regulations.

Putting politics to one side, Jays audio and Denafrips are all sold in the UK through a distributor now, so those matters of concern should have been addressed, Gustard not so sure

Putting politics to one side, Jays audio and Denafrips are all sold in the UK through a distributor now, so those matters of concern should have been addressed, Gustard not so sure

They might be sold here but none have CE! Which is illegal BTW

advertisement

Back