advertisement

Jay-Z is buying Tidal / WiMP

Cato

pfm Member
See that Jay-Z's investment company is buying the parent company of Tidal and WiMP for around $56M in cash. Be interesting to see where he wants to take it - but surely he's seen Dr Dre cash in $3BN when selling his shop to Apple so may prove to be an astute move

Hope commitment to high res streaming remains

But unless Qobuz manage to refinance there is doubt over their ability to survive. Do hope they manage but deep pockets required

There is a serious possibility that having killed off the CD shop business, the streaming companies might fail and leave us with nothing

Are any of the steaming sevices profitable?
I know for sure that Spotify aint, so doubt any of the other would have done any better.

I started music with radio and renting LPs from the library and was happy as Larry, it looks like I am ending that way. I am starting again from scratch and don't feel the urge to own the software now. I have a few records when I thought I did but it's not really an attractive proposition when I can just get what I want anywhere, anytime. Renting at cd quality is fine.

I learned a lesson which is "if you don't use something in a year, then you probably don't need it" and a lot of my records were like that. A lot of my possessions were like that.

Yesterday I closed my trial Tidal and my Spotify premium accounts and I chose to stick with Qobuz and the Berlin Phil season ticket streaming. I buy the odd file to support artists. But try not to hoard like I used to. Collecting records is for collectors.

@cato. If Qobuz go under something else will pop up. It's analogous to a format dying out. Wax Cylinder, 78rpm, Cassette, minidisc, 8 track, Betamax, vas, video2000, floppy disks, Zip drives, Bernoulli disks, vinyl (yes sales are up but its a fraction of total sales), CDs are dying out, nothing is fixed, nothing is certain... Data gets lost like papyri, like the Alexandrian library, like the warehouse Fire at Atlantic records. Even decentralisation is no guarantee. It's all temporary.

advertisement

Back