advertisement

Japanese hi-end audio civil war-70s and 80s.

Nearest I ever got to those Japanese super decks was a Micro DDX1000. SME IV and Lyra Argo on it. Lovely sounding thing.

I'm sure most sounded excellent but the law of diminishing returns will have bitten hard. Sitting just below those DD super decks were higher end consumer grade decks from the likes of Technics and Pioneer offering great sound and build at more affordable prices.
& now you have a P10;)

Or you could just view it as the beginnings of hi-end bling.
I remember visiting many hifi shops in HK around 1982. They were full of massive rosewood plinthed decks with silly-heavy platters. The more rosewood on display and the deeper the platter the bigger the price tag. I'm not convinved that's real engineering. The sound was generally clean and impressive... very "hi-end". Plus ca change!

However, I would like to hear one of those systems again, now that my expectations are rather higher.

I picked up a Grace 707 and OC7 for about 25% of the UK prices whilst I was there.

That's convenient, but they do seem to interfere somewhat with the primary purpose of playing LP records...

:D

I'm not quite sure how it all works but the PX-100M apparently has a 10kg platter so I can see why some assistance might be required to fit it without taking out the bearing....

Folk interested in Japanese audio culture may enjoy the second translated volume of Gateway To Jazz Kissa magazine focusing on 'Eagle' jazz cafe in Yotsuya, Tokyo.

I'm about halfway through reading it and it's great to have this kind of material translated into English after looking at similar books and magazines in Japanese record stores and wishing I could read Japanese!

https://jazzcity.store/

I bought my copy from Rare Mags in the UK. Not sure it works out a lot cheaper but it is quicker.

I’d argue that was just totally in the world of vulgar bling/excess. It lacks the engineering purity and focus of the ‘70s predecessors from Kenwood, Luxman, Micro etc and exists entirely in the ‘same but more’ category.

And yet, the picture you placed this comment below is of a TechDAS Air Force Zero, a direct descendant of Micro Seiki.

If you look at the smaller TechDAS models you'll see the resemblance. I do agree that the Zero is in the moreMoreMORE category.

Lots of amazing gear in there, some mid-range stuff mixed in the page too. Much of the kit is also on TVK. Those Yamaha NS-30's and 20's must have been amazing with the size of the bass radiator/panels.

Garrard was mentioned earlier, which made me think of turntables. I was seduced by Technics DD t'table in the '70s, from an AR XA.
What a stupid move.
With hindsight, I could see the AR' s sound quality was superior to the Technics.
I bought an XA decades later and found it's relevant even today.
In fact, its vibration resistance is better than my LP12.

advertisement

Back