advertisement

Japan Half Speed Abbey Road Pre Orders

When you can visibly see the pressing fault it tells you a lot about the quality control that’s in place,..... or rather not in place!

I’m glad I held off these titles, seems there is problems with them. I have 6 or 7 different pressings of each on CD and vinyl and my favourites are the original Japanese LP for GTP and Japanese CD for TD. Strangely my LP of TD is the German cat no with a sticker on the back with OVED which would state that it is the mid 80s reissue but the sleeve underneath and the vinyl are German original.

I’m glad I held off these titles, seems there is problems with them. I have 6 or 7 different pressings of each on CD and vinyl and my favourites are the original Japanese LP for GTP and Japanese CD for TD. Strangely my LP of TD is the German cat no with a sticker on the back with OVED which would state that it is the mid 80s reissue but the sleeve underneath and the vinyl are German original.

Re CDs: Is your Japanese CD the VDP 57? If so does it differ much from the original UK Virgin issues? The UK Tin Drum really sounds great to me. Gentlemen Take Polaroids rather less so, that one sounds a bit muddy, in fact the remaster may even be better. It is certainly very different.

(I’ve original issue UK vinyl from Quiet Life onwards, which all sounds great, plus the first three albums as Japanese VDP CDs and from then on UK Virgin first issue CDs)

An amazing band!

My Japanese CD of Tin Drum is 32VD-1016 and sounds great. It has more definition without being loud than the original cd.
Gentlemen Take Polaroids is a more problematic recording as it has tape hiss and sounds a bit muddy. The 2003 remaster attempted to remedy this but ended up pretty unlistenable to my ears, losing the wonderful atmosphere of the original recording.
( I have the first 4 on Japanese original vinyl including Quiet Life as a white label promo albeit without the poster.)

Gentlemen Take Polaroids is a more problematic recording as it has tape hiss and sounds a bit muddy.

It’s odd as I’ve always liked the sound of my original UK vinyl (mine is a very early one with the track correction sticker on the back). It seems to have transferred to digital less well than the others.

I Think the original recording is fine as it is and agree that it hasn’t transferred to digital as well as it could have. The murkiness of the recording adds to its atmosphere and subsequent attempts to clean it up haven’t worked IMO.
I would love to hear any outtakes from these sessions, like Some Kind of Fool as bonus tracks.

For what very little it is worth I bought the half-speed masters of both Tin Drum and Gentlemen Take Polaroids through Amazon on the weekend. Thankfully, both sets are unwarped and are free from pressing flaws. The bottom end on TD is considerably more powerful than my UK first pressing (which is very much showing its age). My first impression is very positive.

Hi, I’m glad you got good pressings. Brilliant Trees is a wonderful recording. The remaster from 2003 is very good, which I think slightly betters the original.

The original LP of Brillant Trees is wonderful. The CD is good as well, though the 2003 remaster slightly betters it IMO.

One of my favourites is the Rain Tree Crow album, a 1991 Japan reunion in all but name and this is one case where the remaster is truly superb IMHO. I’ve not got much of the solo Sylvian stuff, just Brilliant Trees and Gone To Earth. I like them a lot, but there was something very special about Japan, a proper band interplay thing where each member was equally exceptional yet knew when to back off and allow the music to breathe.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Bagged these from HMV this week. Got £10 off buying them together by the way. No pressing faults that I can hear (or see). Very impressed. TD is one of my standard hifi test albums, kinda expected it to be amazing but maybe not this much. Polaroids is the revelation though. Waaay better than my UK first pressing. By the way, what does one do with ones OBI strips once the shrink wrapping has been taken off?

Bagged these from HMV this week. Got £10 off buying them together by the way. No pressing faults that I can hear (or see). Very impressed. TD is one of my standard hifi test albums, kinda expected it to be amazing but maybe not this much. Polaroids is the revelation though. Waaay better than my UK first pressing. By the way, what does one do with ones OBI strips once the shrink wrapping has been taken off?
It fits inside the sleeve, that's where I put mine.

Tin Drum half speed mastered is quite something ain't it!

Some talk that the WAV downloads are from the 2003 remasters and not the Abbey Road sessions. Anyone know anything?

Just read that the first four OMD albums are getting this treatment and will be complete with original die-cut Peter Saville sleeves etc.

Hi Mark ( Gaius),

You’ll let me know how it compares to my Music Fidelity copy which is also half speed I bought mine I think in 1980 ?

Regards,

Martin

Just read that the first four OMD albums are getting this treatment and will be complete with original die-cut Peter Saville sleeves etc.

Could be very tempted even though I have nice originals. Architecture and Morality is perhaps my favourite 80's LP's.

Any further experience of the 33.3rpm versions of GTP and TD? Not sure I want to get up to change the 45rpm every ten minutes or so.

advertisement

Back