advertisement

James Webb telescope...

Darmok

pfm Member
5863.jpg

James Webb space telescope
Astronomers on tenterhooks as $10bn James Webb telescope set for lift off

Nasa’s flagship mission counts down to launch at 1220 GMT on Christmas Day from Kourou, French Guiana
Ian Sample Science editor

https://www.theguardian.com/science...as-10bn-james-webb-telescope-set-for-lift-off

Really looking forward for the upgraded improved "Hubble Deep Field" pictures!

Six months for the James Webb going live, hope I can still be around to share our thoughts and blown away minds. o_O :)

Excellent stuff, this means I actually have something to watch on Christmas day for once! I have high hopes for this one, Hubble is unquestionably one of the greatest human achievements IMO. What it showed us is just astonishing.

A brave move with the design of that. There's a lot of moving parts in it and as a general rule, moving parts are avoided where possible in space systems to keep the risk of failure to a minimum. Fingers crossed it all works though - it'll be fascinating to see what the early universe looks like.

That's an awe inspiring photograph.

Can human's understand the universe? Is the universe now able to see/comprehend itself through it's own creation, thereby coming into actual existence... and maybe becoming concious?

A son of a friend at the Local has been working with the ESA at NASA for many years on the James Webb project. Unlike Hubble, it will not be able to be serviced should it fail.

^^ Indeed, just watched Carl Sagans masterpiece novel turn into the film "Contact" on channel 5star, my favourite Sci-Fi film.

Whatttt! How did no one notice the other place being built? Totally ruined it for me that did.

A son of a friend at the Local has been working with the ESA at NASA for many years on the James Webb project. Unlike Hubble, it will not be able to be serviced should it fail.
I think it's going to be put way out into space. A manned mission could never reach it.... I hope your acquaintance got the optics right!

One thing about Hubble which I never quite understood (which by its nature makes it very difficult to describe!) is the “deep field” pic that was taken. If memory serves me right it was focused deep into space and “open” long enough to capture light from the beginning of the universe (13.8 billion years ago) Now, that makes perfect sense to me. But surely, one year, ten years or fifty years later the same action could reveal light from galaxies or other universes from further away so beyond the previous time scale.
Are we assuming that before that period there was nothing or is the only real assumption is that we don’t know because light further away hasn’t reached us yet. Or should that be the light hasn’t reached the the point that Hubble was focused on?
Being pfm maybe a sound analogy would be easier to explain. If we were listening for two gunshots ( assuming the sound waves could travel the distances involved in air) one fired 741 miles away it in theory would be heard one hour after it was fired.
If like Hubble we switched off the mic or stopped listening we wouldn’t be aware of a 2nd shot fired at the same time 1482 miles away that would arrive an hour after that.
So what if there is a gap, a massive gap beyond the limit of the Hubble deep field to a galaxy or sun to which light has to travel before it reaches the previous focal point?
Of course the distances therefor the time is so great they may no longer exist!

My head hurts, I really shouldn’t be on here at this time of the morning:D

It's all fabulous science, and I look forward to seeing what it reveals.

The sad part is that whatever we learn, on current form, we will continue to **** up our tiny corner of this universe.

One thing about Hubble which I never quite understood (which by its nature makes it very difficult to describe!) is the “deep field” pic that was taken. If memory serves me right it was focused deep into space and “open” long enough to capture light from the beginning of the universe (13.8 billion years ago) Now, that makes perfect sense to me. But surely, one year, ten years or fifty years later the same action could reveal light from galaxies or other universes from further away so beyond the previous time scale.
Are we assuming that before that period there was nothing or is the only real assumption is that we don’t know because light further away hasn’t reached us yet. Or should that be the light hasn’t reached the the point that Hubble was focused on?
Being pfm maybe a sound analogy would be easier to explain. If we were listening for two gunshots ( assuming the sound waves could travel the distances involved in air) one fired 741 miles away it in theory would be heard one hour after it was fired.
If like Hubble we switched off the mic or stopped listening we wouldn’t be aware of a 2nd shot fired at the same time 1482 miles away that would arrive an hour after that.
So what if there is a gap, a massive gap beyond the limit of the Hubble deep field to a galaxy or sun to which light has to travel before it reaches the previous focal point?

Our time scales is like a flash photograph compared to the timeline of the universe.

Hubble "Deep Field" looks exactly the same today as it did when it was taken, because the elapsed time is to universe is like a microsecond to us.

Is it not because there were no stars before 13.8 billion years ago so therefore no light.

If you assume that the universe began from a Big Bang that originated from a single point and then expanded in all directions then light from further away than 13.8B years ago would be younger.

For 10Bn couldn’t they have included a robot maintenance technician?

If you assume that the universe began from a Big Bang that originated from a single point and then expanded in all directions then light from further away than 13.8B years ago would be younger.

For 10Bn couldn’t they have included a robot maintenance technician?
If there was nothing before the BB (no space-time) how would you define a single point?
(I don’t think we’ll ever get to the bottom of this)

amazing engineering, we had a couple of astronomers working on it.

A careers worth (30 years) of science and engineering costing $10bn, stuck on top of a giant firework. And when it gets there, over a 100 actuators to deploy the mirror.....and then a 10 year lifespan if it works

If there was nothing before the BB (no space-time) how would you define a single point?
(I don’t think we’ll ever get to the bottom of this)

That’s because you and I can only think of existence in the realm of space-time. Clearly* then prior to the Big Bang existence occurred in something other than space-time.

*Well, to be precise, not really clearly at all.

T minus 2.46 and counting...

This might be of interest to those interested in launches, this film of the space shuttle shows ignition and taking off with commentary from the engineers, wonderful.

advertisement

Back