advertisement

Jaguar X-Type Heater Flaps

MJS

Technical Tinkerer
I know this is better off served in a car forum but it's a specific issue and someone here may have fixed this and can tell me if it's worth doing myself.

Problem: Heater blows only cold air. This is a bit of an issue right now.
Temporary solution: Resetting the heater flap stepper motors using a long sequence of button presses.
Apparent solution: Re-fix motor spindles to their flaps so they don't slip.

As far as I can tell it's *just* an issue of removing the glovebox then applying superglue in the right place once I have access to the heater console and motors. Has anyone got one of these and had to fix this?

Ain't got one and you've probably done it, but a Google of "x-type heater fix" gets a lot of hits, although I've not ploughed through them to see if there is one that applies.

Without seeing the components, I would be surprised if superglue was the best idea, if it is appropriate at all as it is very brittle.
The only broadly similar things that I have had apart have either been moulded together of the plastic part has been clamped to the motor shaft with a sort of wide external circlip, for what that might be worth.

I had problems with no hot air caused by the disintegrated flaps on a Jeep Grand Cherokee which was solved by buying a kit.I had a similar issue with my Mercedes E500 which was down to a valve. In both cases the labour charges were eye watering as both involved removing the entire dashboard. Hopefully your car is easier to sort.

Jaguarforum.co.uk is the place to go. I hung out there for ages, had an X-type for near 10 years from new - they are very very helpful. Specific X-type forum within, and all forms of everything can be sorted with their help. Have to say I do not recall the heater flaps being a common topic of conversation -- Diesel DPFs took a lot of discussion!

I'll have a good check of the other forums, thanks for the input. It's not fun when it's -5 out.

I think you mean it`s not fun when it`s -5 in as well.

I had a vaguely similar problem on series 2 XJ6 many years ago due to a broken control cable - I spent two days trying to thread the replacement round pulleys and through holes and gave up - I eventually p/exed the car omitting to mention that the heater flap was held open with a pencil.

One of the features of this experience was finding the drivers door freezing up and failing to latch after I had been driving for 15 minutes.

advertisement

Back