advertisement

Jaguar F Type

Mick P

Retired and content
Chaps

Since retiring, we run a Honda Civic in the UK and a Hyundai I10 in Spain. We deliberately run a small car in Spain because a lot of streets are narrow and it's easy to drive.

However, we are perusing the market looking for something new in the UK. One day we feel we should be practical and go for something like a Honda Jazz (the pensioners favourite car) or whether to say bugger it and go for something a bit more glam such as an open top or a two seater.

Yesterday we were stuck behind a Jaguar F Type and bugger me has it pushed all the buttons. Mrs Mick was foaming at the mouth about buying one and she hasn't stopped talking about it.

It is pure sex on wheels and it goes like a bat out of hell and talk about glam - it is just plain sexy and leaves Porsche looking like an ugly duckling.

I ran Jaguars for 22 years and gave them up when I retired but this model has certainly re stoked the fires.

Here is the TopGear report

http://www.topgear.com/uk/photos/jaguar-f-type-porsche-911-porsche-boxster-top-gear-2013-06-07

Has anyone else seen one and what do you think of it ?

Regards

Mick

Mick,

I've sat in one & started one up (V8S, Hartwell Bristol) and there's certainly something animal like in how it sounds. However... It's a bloody wide and it's a longish car for something sporty. And sat next to an XK8 coupe, it looks, err, a bit brash (to my eyes at least).

Having seen one parked out in the wild with a new shape Boxster (981, itself not a small sports car anymore) sat directly behind it, the F type looked even larger than it did in the showroom.

Definitely go and try one but I expect you'll be holding your breath threading one through a narrow English street, never mind a Spanish one.

Steve

People are going to say that it's a Ford Mondeo under the body, or whatever, which is what people like to do, but that is the way production cars are built now, so is irrelevant. Who cares anyway? It may not be.

Jaguar have taken notice of the Aston Martin resurrection and have toyed before with designing the coupes and roadsters to follow that lead, whilst retaining the classic lines and identity of a Jaguar. It seems that with the F Type they have stolen the smart buyer.
Back in the 80s the BMW was known as a builder's car, because all building company execs were issued with them and all small developers had them. You would know a builder from the BMW. Now, that car is the Aston Martin and anyone that doesn't want to look like a chav or a criminal buys something else instead. It's a crime, but it is unfortunately true. What Jaguar have done with the F Type is nick the sector that would want to have an Aston Martin but doesn't want to look like a twat. What is more, I think the F Type is nicer, and a Jaguar is never going to appeal to footballers.

I personally think the F Type is Jaguar back on form and going for the last blast before conventional sports cars are made illegal or taxed out of existence. The final years of having something like this are upon us and if you have the inclination and shreddies to go get one, then do it. It's doing nothing in the bank except shrinking against inflation. And we haven't had a summer like this for many years, and may not again.
Take it. Life is too short. It's lovely. And it's a Jaguar.

People are going to say that it's a Ford Mondeo under the body, or whatever, which is what people like to do, but that is the way production cars are built now, so is irrelevant. Who cares anyway? It may not be.
they only said that about the X type Jag which was in large part a Mondeo, but when Ford owned Jaguar. This isn't remotely the case with new cars under JLR.

As a (early) retired Honda Jazz driver I know the only thing that needs to be done to the Honda to improve it is for the average age of the owners to be brought down :). We passed the Jag dealership alongside the river last week in the sun and saw an f Type on a pedestal. I did ask if my retirement fund should be spent on one and got no argument from the better half, if only it could feed and cloth us it would have been a done deal.
The Mazda dealers further down the road had a nice MX5 which would keep us out of the workhouse for a few more years.

I didn't say Mondeos are bad, just doesn't really have any relevance to an F Type.

Greg

Can you please bugger off - you are the king of cyclic arguments and you are beginning to kill this thread. Just drop it, it is a total non topic.

Regards

Mick

Greg

Can you please bugger off - you are the king of cyclic arguments and you are beginning to kill this thread. Just drop it, it is a total non topic.

Regards

Mick
Mick, I actually thought it would be reassuring information just in case you didn't realise, but I'll leave you to it.

It's got to be British Racing Green with tan leather, hasn't it?

k-bigpic.jpg

When you think about time machines and being able to walk into a Jaguar dealer in 1963 and buy an E Type brand new, you just couldn't resist, could you. To get from 1961 to here to just get to the successor, the F Type, and find ourselves in the right place at the right time. It would just be incomprehensible to resist.

Well actually, the one we saw yesterday was white and it was very glam.

BRG is not really girlie and Mrs Mick now drives 3 miles to my one.

Why don't you save yourself the stress and try one, then you'll probably not want everyone staring at you if you took the plunge. I'd stick with the Honda, reliable as they come.

I'd stick with the Honda, reliable as they come.

If my mother wasn't dead, I'd swear you are her.

I don't like white cars. They all look like washing machines.
And I've just seen the price, which is much less than I imagined.

You can spend £70k on a BMW chavtastic builder mobile, or the same on a footballers wives Range Rover Essexmobile.
Something with breeding, a true British marque....there is no competition, and I think it's very competitive on price. A very ordinary Porsche 911 Carrera S* would be £81k, and I'd rather have the Jaguar...any day.

* Ordinary in the sense that most people won't be able to tell it apart from any 911 since 1990, of which there are millions. It won't turn heads.

Very little luggage space. Shallow 196 litre boot becomes almost useless if space saver spare is optioned.... says Honest John in the Telegraph

advertisement

Back