advertisement

Jack Johnson

Michael L

pfm Member
Roy Riches has lent me a copy of the CD "On and On" by this musician. Its beautifully recorded, grown up music: the vocals sound like Nick Drake in a good mood and the band play mellow and non-electronic sounds in the background.

Worth a go for those mellow moments.

Thanks Roy.

Regards

Mike

Yes, it's good stuff, very tight playing. A bit simple, and after three albums quite repetitive, though. Both his first and his most recent album are available on LP, BTW ("On and On" is his second, Mike).

Hi,

Got this one somewhere. Whilst I enjoyed it at first, the album didn't stand up to repeated listening. Perhaps a bit too simple? Not sure in retrospect and would have to listen again to be able to express a more coherent opinion. Just that after a few listens it seemed to go on and on and on...

Regards,

Stuart.

Mike, it appears "On and On" is also available on vinyl. Just picked up a copy in town in anticipation of setting up my new TT sometime this week! Also picked up his latest LP, which -- in contrast to others -- I find is definitely on a par with "On and On".

I got "On and On" last week, US pressing, pretty heavy. Sound quality is dire owing to distortion on every track -- it's a bass-heavy recording and I suspect has been mastered much too loud for LP.

Will shops refund crap vinyl?

I've not heard on and on yet. No doubt it will creep up on me in some shop or other when I can least avoid it. I've heard bushfire fairytales (or whatever it was more exactly called) and found it went on, and on, and on... nice enough to start with, but seems rather lacking in any substance IMHO. Still, the masses like it - who am I to differ?!

Rico said:
I've not heard on and on yet. No doubt it will creep up on me in some shop or other when I can least avoid it. I've heard bushfire fairytales (or whatever it was more exactly called) and found it went on, and on, and on... nice enough to start with, but seems rather lacking in any substance IMHO. Still, the masses like it - who am I to differ?!

It's in my collection Mr R. Worth delving into unless you've sold the lot!

Jason, others have reported the same problem so I felt justified in going back to the shop on Monday (I'm not very good at complaining). To my great surprise they exchanged it!

Got "The Dropper" by Medeski, Martin and Wood instead, which will doubtless increase my street cred factor by 47.2% (Jack Johnson had lowered it by 18.6%).

I saw Jack perform live in concert recently. Despite the relatively narrow range of styles, he is a genuine musician with the ability to engage his audience with an uncommon sense of humility and simplicity. In contrast, I thought the supporting G Love & Special Sauce missed the point completely.

James

Lazy music for lazy days, lovely warm vocals.

Got mine off a guy on a beach in Koh Chang Thailand and it sounds just lovely, all for just over a pound.

Shame the other 3 CD's I bought dont play though :(

advertisement

Back