advertisement

Jack Barron (Go Fund Me)

I am sure Jack would have some interesting views on the Chelsea situation which he would no doubt express in his usual forthright manner.

Latest Update from Helen.

Today by Helen Mead, Beneficiary

Hello all!

Hoping you are all getting to enjoy this amazing Spring weather we are having. I am hoping to get to see Jack tomorrow and get him outside for the first time in a few months.

Thanks so much for all the support and continued emails from everyone - it’s so lovely to know Jack continues to be in everyone’s thoughts.

The last few months have been a blessing in that since Jack has left hospital and entered the care home he hasn’t had any acute episodes of illness!

It’s incredible to have him stable when so much of the time he was in hospital he was acutely unwell with Doctors uncertain if he would pull through. On so many levels that Jack is with us today is miraculous and testament to both his strength and determination.

The most happy news is that he is getting on with his physio Amir really well. He turns out to be a Chelsea fan too - what were the chances?! So they bond over their love of that and Amir often leaves him watching a match too to keep him entertained (as well as charging his iPad as we can’t rely on the care home staff to do that).

Jack has regained his strength so that he is able to sit for 3-4 minutes without support and he has been transferred to his chair now, so he can sit out, without using the hoist which is incredible progress. Last week Amir tried again to get Jack standing but he’s not there yet.

Amir says it could be “weeks, or months, or maybe never” but we are hopeful that he will get there with perseverance and continued support - and ultimately the most important thing is the doing - mentally and emotionally. Progress is the goal - not perfection.

As Amir just put it: “We are trying our best so wish us luck!”

As well as luck - I am sad to say that the Go Fund Me funds - an incredible £9,515 that has supported Jack in all his needs these last 15 months is now down to £576.99.

We really hoped that Jack would be transferred to a care home where he would get physio. Yes despite his consultant saying he would recommend this in November- nothing like this has transpired.

So we continue to pay for Jack’s physio privately. Every week he has been having three sessions which costs £195. Last week he was strong enough to have five sessions for the first time which raised last weeks costs to £325.

It’s amazing progress that this happened. We would like Jack to be able to have all the support he needs to keep him moving forward. So I am again asking for your help to achieve this goal.

I am of the belief that these interactions with Jack do him so much good beyond the physio. He has the human touch and opportunity to bond with another warm and friendly human being who shares his passion for football. This is priceless.

In the care home - much of the time which has been in lockdown the last 4 months - Amir is still able to visit Jack as he is classed as an essential worker.

Otherwise Jack’s interaction with others in the care home is an activity twice a week (these are the only times they will get him out of bed). This is nothing in the scheme of things and makes my heart plummet in despair.

Amir and his growing relationship with Jack is what helps me sleep at night. To know that no matter what he has this outside care that he can rely on.

I have noticed that many of you have kindly made multiple donations over the course of Jack’s incapacity. That’s so thoughtful and generous and useful.

Many of you have contacted me privately to let me know that you were ready to help again when needed. That has been a big comfort - knowing you are there and we can ask again.

Over the last 15 months you have provided Jack with all of life’s essentials: communication and entertainment via an iPad - with monthly subscriptions to football and music and reliable WiFi. Toiletries and clothing that are suitable for him in the hospital, and the home, for his continued dignity; and lashings of coffee and cake and chocolate!

However much Tiramisu Jack can eat it is the physio that has been the biggest cost of all and also has the biggest benefit to his continued well-being and mood and quality of life.

I am hopefully increasing the Go Fund Me target to £20,000 to raise another £10,000. This will ensure Jack six more months of physio five days a week, a total of £8,450, which leaves us funds for clothing, toiletries, Jack’s subscriptions and other essentials, or unexpected costs that may transpire.

Sending love and thanks to everyone of you. It’s amazing how many people have turned up to support Jack on his journey and testament to the man how many love him.

With your help we can keep on keeping on...

"the most important thing is the doing - mentally and emotionally. Progress is the goal - not perfection"

This really struck a chord. Best of luck to Jack - modest donation sent towards the continued employment of Amir.

Just seen on the Dimple Discs Facebook page that there's a fundraising gig for Jack coming up:

https://www.wegottickets.com/event/557154
Yes, I’ve received an email update from Jack’s fundraisers. No further news about the man himself, though.

‘The wonderful people at the Dimple Discs label are putting on a fundraiser for Jack, would be great to see you there. Jack still needs all our help as he continues to fight the effects of Vasculitis. The show is at The Lexington on November 8th. It's going to be amazing evening featuring The Wolfhounds, KEELEY and Mari Dangerfield.’

The rest as in sideshowbob’s post above.

Just seen this on gofundme:

Updates (14)

Todayby Helen Mead, Beneficiary
Thanks to everyone who has been writing and asking after Jack. It is so good to hear from his friends from over the decades and hear stories I can share with him on my visits.

It is good also as a reminder to post an update on his GoFundMe page so everyone knows how Jack is and what’s going on!

Sorry it has been several months. We had the amazing gig put together by Brian at Dimple Discs with The Wolfhounds, KEELEY, and Mari Dangerfield all playing amazing sets.

It was a great boost to morale as Jack was having a difficult time during that period with different infections and mentally was quite shut down.

Amazingly- the last two times I have seen him - he has been in the best place mentally since his strokes. He was retaining more information, asking questions, knew who I was - and I so enjoyed spending the time with him. He was happy and smiling - pleased for the visit - even thanking me for coming and saying it “had cheered him up”. It was definitely good for the heart. For both of us.

The downside is how he is physically- he is more frail and virtually bed bound. We still have the physio coming three times a week to maximise his movement and help to improve his breathing and strength and when I saw him two weeks ago the physio had just got him sitting on the side of the bed and he was able to support himself for 5 minutes.

His hands over the last few months have done this really weird thing - one had come together at the finger tips the other is extended open - both the reverse of each other - the Dr has done some tests - the initial thought was some sort of rheumatoid arthritis but the blood tests came back negative.

The physio has helped him to regain some movement back in his hands - and as Jack is so much better mentally; Amir is printing out the information on large sheets in the hope that Jack can follow them himself or staff take him through them.

It’s great that he is in such a good place after having such a rough few months. He has had a number of infections and by last autumn he didn’t know who I was anymore - and for a few months when I visited he was just transfixed by the telly.

It was heart breaking and only made better by a friend - who came to visit him with me just before last Christmas - which brought a huge smile to Jack’s face; and she made me much happier too, observing that he was comfortable and not distressed.

The way he is now thou - is amazing - you really feel you are with the old Jack. And that’s a very precious thing!

Helen 21/7/23

advertisement

Back