advertisement

I've just had a missed call ...

Have a closer look, it may look like your number but a common scam employs this "similar number" method of skullduggery.

The ‘the national crime agency has found your national insurance number in a fraud’ con is spoofing 07802 numbers. I’ve had several calls from confused old folk asking me why I’m calling them…..

... from my own (Android) phone. I heard it go off but didn't get there in time.

How can my phone ring itself ? Perplexed !

Go into your Phone app; press the 3 dots, press settings, look for 'block numbers' or 'caller ID & spam protection' and switch that on :)

Thanks.

I've just checked in the settings and both parameters were switched on; I've a long list of blocked numbers, mostly ones closely resembling my own. It's the first time I've had a call from myself, though :). I've blocked my own number. :eek: I hope that won't upset other things or make the phone unusable. Time will tell.

Have a closer look, it may look like your number but a common scam employs this "similar number" method of skullduggery.
I occasionally get robocalls from numbers with only a few digits different from mine. Obviously scammers spoofing the caller ID.

The ‘the national crime agency has found your national insurance number in a fraud’ con is spoofing 07802 numbers. I’ve had several calls from confused old folk asking me why I’m calling them…..

Ah thanks - that explains it. I had a call from someone last week saying I'd just called them. My phone had been next to me on the sofa, locked, for the previous hour or so.

Ah thanks - that explains it. I had a call from someone last week saying I'd just called them. My phone had been next to me on the sofa, locked, for the previous hour or so.
Yes. The same for me a couple of times in recent years. I decided to talk to the last caller who said that I had called him and explained CLID presentation spoofing by scammers. He seemed to get it but I couldn't be sure.

Thanks.

I've just checked in the settings and both parameters were switched on; I've a long list of blocked numbers, mostly ones closely resembling my own. It's the first time I've had a call from myself, though :). I've blocked my own number. :eek: I hope that won't upset other things or make the phone unusable. Time will tell.
OMG, don't do that! Blocking your own mobile number on your own phone is like entering the term 'Google' into Google. It's guaranteed to break the internet and any comms network your phone is connected to.

Probably.

I had two calls from scammers using my mobile number +1 and +2. Had a few calls this week from an 02036 number on the landline, answered once but no one there.
Must admit I get much fewer scam calls since before lockdown.

advertisement

Back