advertisement

I've gone and done it...

FireMoon

pfm Member
I was just about to completely rejig my home studio setup when Covid hit. Murphy's law that, my two main tech people both were ultra vulnerable and , as a result, in effect, had to go into hiding for their own safety for a couple of years. Anyway, finally sorted with new main monitors, work desk, acoustic treatment and storage shelving all purchased. This left headphones to sort out and I already own 4 pairs of decent phones and a bunch of generic iems.

Given I work late nights, no interruptions, phones are really rather important so I began to have a look round at something rather more serious to work on. After the usual months of procrastination and umming and ahhhing and then the chance to procure a one month old Violetric HPA222 and a brand new pair of Audeze LCD Xs for well under the 2k mark came up, so I went for it. I did so as, several people whose mixing chops I have a huge respect for have taken to using the Audeze LCD X's for mixing and mastering where previously, they had never mixed on phones. Anyway, the Violectric will be here by the end of the week, so it will be interesting to compare it to my incumbent Musical Fidelity V90 phone amp.

Violectric make such nice gear that will drive anything - expensive though.

LCD-X saw a revision in 2021 which meant quite a different overall tuning to the previous version (2019).

An update..... The Violectric amp..... A seriously great piece of kit and I'm incredibly impressed by how it seems to be able to drive anything phones wise, you chuck at it. As quiet as a mouse in operation, the volume pot feels truly "expensive" and the sound seems to about as neutral with the merest hint of oomph around 120 HZ as I've heard. There's part of me that feels it genuinely frivolous to recommend a phones amp that costs what the Violectric does however, if that's your main source of listening then you really need to try and listen to one before you make another purchase. I've really enjoyed mixing through the LCD X Violectric combo and , most important of all, it translates well which is the key to good monitoring as much as anything else.

advertisement

Back