advertisement

I've Found It! I've only gone and found it!

AlexTaylor

Likes cake.
At last! I've found the song that I spent many years shoegazing to at 6th form and university that I never found out from the DJ the name of and who it was by! I always wanted it but had long since given up hope.

I was looking for some 'Lush' cosmetics for my wife on the tinterweb and came across the 4AD website. Things started to come in to my mind. I remember the jangly guitar ethereal voiced band Lush and thought ooh, I wonder if that ace song was them, cos it sounded sort of like them, or the Cocteau Twins. It was! I was so excited I ordered faster than i've ordered anything in my life.
Hearing it again has brought back so many memories I was quite dewy eyed let me tell you. I could close my eyes and imagine me and my mate andy drinking cans of red stripe in 'The Welly' club in Hull or cheap stella at the students union. I could even smell the air there (slightly musty but not unpleasant in a reminiscent sort of way).

Has anyone else had a similar experience where they used to love a song and never owned it / not heard it for years that you have heard again and it has brought memories flooding back?

(The song was called monochrome by the way)

Nice post! Big up for The Welly - spent my formative years there (as a local not a student - we didn't hate you lot really - well you threw some great house parties!)

Coincidentally I had a real "shiver down the spine" moment last night listening to China Crisis. The song "African & White" took me back to another Hull club (The Silhouette) and some gorgeous blonde girl and stuff......aaaaahhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cool:

Cheers

Rich

Sils! I always felt very odd going for a visit to the toilets in there due to the bizarre muzak they played, such as the theme tune to camberwick green etc.

Oh yes, Lush memories ... I really listened to that album a lot - "Spooky". Your post made me remember and I just put it on - that music really has a very special feel and athmosphere to it.

Thom

The Telescopes

I've had a very similar experience - I picked up a CD copy of The Telescopes' '# - untitled second', which is (I am 99% certain) the same as an album I had on vinyl in the early 90's. It sounds very familiar, and utterly wonderful.

A shoegazing day ahead for me...next up: Ride's 'Nowhere'.

advertisement

Back