advertisement

iTunes playlist issues

Rack Kit

pfm Member
I've got AAC 256kbps versions of all my AIFFs for iPhone use, so now my library is showing 2 versions of each track as you expect.

I've created two smart playlists for each version and was hoping to be able to use the remote app on the phone to select an album from the AIFF playlist to listen back to through the system but it only seems to be able to play individual from each album in the order tracks, which is nigh on useless to me as it's not how listen to music.

So basically what i'm asking is this; Is there a way of selecting an album from my playlists using the remote app?

Thanks in advance (i'm guessing to garyi on this one ;) )

Where I've got multiple encodings of the same track in iTunes, I deselect the little tick box to the left of the track tiles for all the low res versions. This prevents iTunes playing them as a matter of course.

However I'm not sure what effect this has on syncing up to iPhone...

I know there's now a feature for converting higher bit rate songs to 128 kbps AAC. No idea if it does this with having to keep two tracks of each song and also that you can't select your own. 128 just doesn't sound good enough to me.

As an aside, no idea if anyone heard Elvis Costello on radio 5 Live, describing MP3 as sounding "like hell" and how he's pushed for his latest (and last according to him) to be put on vinyl. The interviewer (Rich Bacon) sounded genuinely shocked that vinyl could sound decent at all, never mind better than low bit rate MP3. :rolleyes:

It can be simpler with 2 libraries, one lossless AIFF and one lossy MP3 or whatever. Then just sync the lossy one with the iphone. Could be a pain if you frequently rip new cd's.
Or better still if you subscribe to Spotify download your playlists to yur iPhone as I have with my HTC android phone and you can listen to loads of new stuff.

Why not just use the option to sync to lossy from your lossless library, this way you only have one copy? it what i do. It took it's time (well 48 hours for 2000+albums) but when adding/exchanging new albums it takes minutes.

If I'm understanding this correctly, you need to sort the playlist to the preferred playback sequence (Album) within iTunes?

At a risk of sounding stupid in the ipod app (when I used to own one) there was a few options along the bottom including play lists. Can't you just pick that play list?

If I'm understanding this correctly, you need to sort the playlist to the preferred playback sequence (Album) within iTunes?

Basically, i'm trying to search for albums within the playlist without having to scroll through tracks to find them. For instance, if i wanted to listen to 1999 by Cassius, i've got to scroll all the way down the end of playlist (as it's the last album in alphabetical order that i currently have)

Other than unchecking the library as arfa suggested, i can't think of another way of playing the lossless tracks.

advertisement

Back