advertisement

It's that time of year - 2023 New Year Photography Resolutions!

I bought one two years ago. I have been using it to archive my late Mum’s photo archive. She was an avid photographer and I am the guardian of her archive for my two siblings and me.
The Epson is a great print scanner. I had thought about buying a Kodak Alaris for 3 times as much, but I am glad that I settled in this. I have been scanning a set of 36 prints in under 5 mins. It takes longer to think about how to set up the file structure and folder names, as well as working which year and who everyone is.
The Epson is highly recommended.

That's a great recommendation, appreciated! I have prints from the early 70's until I went fully digital around 20 years ago. Lots of classic motorsport, as well as social events, family, holidays etc I expect the file structure might be a challenge too...
WEX seem to have the best price at the moment but are out of stock so Park are set to receive an order tomorrow.

That's a great recommendation, appreciated! I have prints from the early 70's until I went fully digital around 20 years ago. Lots of classic motorsport, as well as social events, family, holidays etc I expect the file structure might be a challenge too...
WEX seem to have the best price at the moment but are out of stock so Park are set to receive an order tomorrow.

This is a great unit for batch scanning, as it is a specially adapted automatic document feeder (ADF) scanner. Most ADF scanners are used to scan text and documents in black and white only. The Epson will only scan to 600 dpi and hence is suitable for archiving large collections. However, a proper flatbed scanner will provide a higher quality scan individual images, but would be much slower than the Epson. I see that Epson UK also have these in stock at £500.88, if you do not wish to wait.

That is exactly what I want/ need. I do have a higher res flatbed scanner but too slow for the job. Speed is what I need. The Epson price is similar to Park (£499)

Lockdown, then a new job have prevented me from taking pictures in the past few years. It’s sad.
I must find the discipline to go out in the little spare time I have…

In the meantime I tried to go back to FF reflex and then a Ricoh GR but now back to Fuji which is undoubtedly the best tool for me.

I find myself in an interesting situation.
While I still really enjoy photography, lugging stuff everywhere becomes a real pain.
Some years back I sold my full frame Canon and all its lenses, mostly the very fast wides and also the 2.8 200 zoom.
Put that towards the Fuji XT2, which I still have, but not using anywhere near enough.
Again, 2 fast zoom lenses , inc the 16mm, but again, liking the fast lenses makes for a big camera, and I found I was leaving one at base all the time.
So now, decision is all but made - it's going to be moved on.
Going for a small, compact fixed lens, but decided to wait for the Q3, and hopefully, thats going to be my end point.

Have spent the last few days scanning slides from nearly 40 yrs ago taken with a Canon A1, and really that even back then, I usually stuck with either 24 or 35mm fixed, despite taking a 50-135 zoom everywhere in the bag.
Kodachrome sure take an age to scan correctly, and the software not that intuitive, but it has brought back many memories.
I need to go back to the Grand Canyon / death valley for sunrise one more time before I leave the planet!

Resolutions for 2023? 12MP of my iPhone up to 24MP of the Canon 200D; or as low as 6MP if I dust off the venerable D50. Hehehe.

That's if I can muster the interest to make pictures at all, which has been at a lifetime low for some years. Honestly, I prefer to enjoy other peoples work such as that here on pfm.

advertisement

Back