advertisement

It's that time of year - 2023 New Year Photography Resolutions!

Mr Perceptive

Perceptive Member
So another year goes by, if you made resolutions last year, you will almost have certainly broken them, but thats not the point!

So plans for 2023 - photos, projects, gear, etc

Mine:-

1) No major gear changes, I have 'everything' I need, the only things on my radar currently are a Monopod (which I believe has been ordered for my birthday!), a couple of memory cards and a 1/8th ProMist filter.

2) Get out and shoot more, something I've been bad with over the last year, I want to shoot some smaller projects, and target 4 zines this year.

3) Inspired by @mentalp - get out of my comfort zone and try my hand at some portraits.

4) Book a week on Skye with my son, for another Scottish photo adventure.

Not been doing much, foot operations kept me immobile for last 6 months, plus my Sigma DP1 died.

Now feel motivated so just found and ordered a replacement Sigma DP1.

Sony RX 100 bought new, arrived yesterday, looking forward to playing.

After almost 60 years of SLR’s and TLR’s I’ve given up carrying loads of gear.

I have a wonderful Gitzo walking stick/monopod, really light.

Gary

I'm probably going to revert to large format, either using my Sinar F, or possibly selling that and trying one of the Intrepid 4x5 models.

Bought a Ricoh GR III off Tuga on here over two months ago but have only been out the house with it once so need to start planning some trips so I can use it.
Even bought a Nisi filter kit for it, so some nice watery scenery is required.

I’ve just retired, I’m planning on lots of travel/walks, I want to take many more photos to justify the kit I have! That’s not the real reason…I mostly want to improve my skill level.

After years of taking the mick out of mirrorless for lousy battery life etc, I am now extremely happy with it and fully committed to the Canon RF system. It will get a lot of use in 2023.

Buy a decent scanner & start to address the massive legacy of negatives of last 30 years.

I have quite literally, a couple of crates full: mostly from 1990 -2003 ish, but more yet

: o

ETA:
1995-TM_600px.jpg

Buy a decent scanner & start to address the massive legacy of negatives of last 30 years.

I have quite literally, a couple of crates full: mostly from 1990 -2003 ish, but more yet

: o
I have the same problem but will never have the time to do that! Huge number of motorsport images etc

My New Year photography resolution is to actually start taking photos again!

According to Lightoom, I only managed 7,215 photos this year, whereas I normally take around 14,000 in a typical year. (Last year was 13,995). There are various reasons for this but it's time I stop making excuses and get out there again!

Lefty

For various reasons 2022 has been a very difficult year for me. My new Panasonic G9 is hardly run-in. I aim to become totally comfortable using it. Modern cameras have so many options it takes longer to become fully at home with them. Back in film days I it was so easy with my old Canon F1, simply set your aperture or speed, compose and get the needle in the ring and click. It became instinctive so quickly.

Get out more with either the D850 or GFX, since 2020 my photography has slipped dramatically, at the end of 2022 I invested in a new GFX, time to get out there ;)

1. Take more photos. For me taking photos has always been part of being outdoors walking, climbing, cycling etc. I've been to some great places and taken photos but that hasn't been the main purpose of the trip. In the past year or so I've done more of going out specifically for the photo, choosing the right time and place and so on. Even if it means getting up ridiculously early! So, more of this...
2. Take fewer photos. When I get to the right time and place I tend to go snap happy. I aim to take fewer, better, more thoughtful pictures.
3. Make more of the photos I take. Improve my editing and presentation, get some printed and up on the wall. They're not doing anything sitting on my computer.

Thanks to all fishie photographers for the great pictures, inspiration and advice over the last year. I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with in the future!

I have done little photography since 2020 when I became a widower but now reloaded Lightroom etc onto a Retina iMac and it recognises the R3 so I have no excuses. Lets see what the RF lenses can do.

No grand plans, but fancy doing more 'on the cheap' since am really enjoying the D200 i bought for 60 quid. Been offered a 5D Mk1 for not much more (it's a bit beaten up but works fine) and with a long-forgotten Nifty Fifty in the drawer, I may just go for it.

Have hardly used my Fuji kit since I shot a friend's wedding with it back in October. I've fallen out of love with the X-Pro3 and X-T3 as they let me down with occasional missed-focus and whilst I quite liked the screen on the Pro3 to start with, it's a pain in the *rse now. The Pro1 though? I still love it after owning it for 9 years, it's quite special in the same way the D700 is.

Photographically, I must get out further afield - The Lincolnshire Wolds are only 45 mins away and are a well-kept secret, must give the area a try.

Anybody used one of these? It will solve a massive storage problem!

https://www.parkcameras.com/shop/epson-fastfoto-ff-680w_8215758f

I bought one two years ago. I have been using it to archive my late Mum’s photo archive. She was an avid photographer and I am the guardian of her archive for my two siblings and me.
The Epson is a great print scanner. I had thought about buying a Kodak Alaris for 3 times as much, but I am glad that I settled in this. I have been scanning a set of 36 prints in under 5 mins. It takes longer to think about how to set up the file structure and folder names, as well as working which year and who everyone is.
The Epson is highly recommended.

advertisement

Back