advertisement

"it's quite good actually" says the wife

peter_964rs

That's no moon!
To the arrival of the 300B-equipped Tron Discovery today. Raised eyebrows at the price, the additional box that glows and shines, and yet we've gone through two of three of the box set of 'Come Dine With Me - the collection' which comprises not a single audiophile track nor anything of any great merit except perhaps the Style Council's 'Ever Changing Moods' and she's been sat beside me singing and tapping her iPad in time to the music.

Quite the best recommendation I know of short of a cat sleeping on the speakers. Meanwhile I am dissecting the sound and revelling in the diction, the dynamics, the depth and width and tonality and musicality and tension that brings a lump to my throat.... and wifey just sits back and enjoys it.

Perfik. Why isn't more hifi like this? Just tucked away making sweet music and not on show for its' own sake :)

Many women don't know or care about hi-fi but their opinion on what constitutes enjoyable music making is almost always correct, IME!

To the arrival of the 300B-equipped Tron Discovery today. Raised eyebrows at the price, the additional box that glows and shines, and yet we've gone through two of three of the box set of 'Come Dine With Me - the collection' which comprises not a single audiophile track nor anything of any great merit except perhaps the Style Council's 'Ever Changing Moods' and she's been sat beside me singing and tapping her iPad in time to the music.

Quite the best recommendation I know of short of a cat sleeping on the speakers. Meanwhile I am dissecting the sound and revelling in the diction, the dynamics, the depth and width and tonality and musicality and tension that brings a lump to my throat.... and wifey just sits back and enjoys it.

Perfik. Why isn't more hifi like this? Just tucked away making sweet music and not on show for its' own sake :)

:cool::cool:

Well Hang on a minute. You bought it I presume? What do you think of it? :)

Ive noticed a growing number of people refering to whether "the wife" "Wifey" (a distant term) likes it even if it is in jest. So if "the wife" wasnt happy that evening youd be taking it back would you?
If it wasnt chosen together your partner is going to have to live with it anyway isnt she? Therefore Im glad it sounds good.

Is everyone thats married under the thumb then? :D

Was very amused when we went for a nosey in the Bose outlet thing, my fiancée got caught by a salesman listening to some powered speaker things, "what do you think?" she turned, "well... there's lots of bass, but it's not very good... and it sounds sort of muffled, voices don't sound very clear - like the singer has a cold!" Poor guy looked like he'd been hit in the face with a brick! Really don't think he was expecting that from a quite demure looking young woman. I'm not sure whether I'm proud, or concerned about what I have done to the poor girl!

PETER,

I assume this is the one from St. Andrew's; The chap (forget his name) was acquiring monoblocks, and I wonder if they were from the G.T. stable as well.

T'would be of interest to know which amp. the Tron replaced in your system, and the (relatively efficient) speakers you have.

MIKE

The amp was built new, from GT of course. Previous amps Quad II monoblocks. Speakers Avantgarde Duo Omegas, 103db/w/m IIRC (more than regular Duos).

P

once i showoff my Hifi rig to my girlfriend (now my wife), she commented that the music is very nice. the next moment, i put another CD album with poorer recording, she shook her head.. I married a audiophilessy :)

Our 8 year old comments on my kit!! and it's clear if she doesnt like the look of something, she also noticed that the balance knob was slightly over to once side once. My Wife certainly can hear differences and if she hears something she prefers, she will comment.

For the first time in 12 years mrs spacey said the system i have now sounds super and is by far the best I've owned! she was* well impressed.

* Until she found the invoice :)

my philosophy...

get the biggest possible speakers imaginable BEFORE you get married.... and then she can't complain!

I have a long tried an tested method of smuggling new boxes into the house. I have mountains of the stuff hanging around and just get some out to try it, so when a new box appears I can say " Oh that! Oh, I've had that for ages." then
....." I Know, I'm going to sell it, I've got too much." ......then do nothing.Its Diogenes Syndrome I'm afraid.

PETER,

Have you been to G.T.'s place and seen/heard those imposing A-G horns? It is one of the nicest listening rooms I've encountered; both spacious and comfortable.

advertisement

Back