advertisement

It's official....Thor cables are directional!

suzywong

Wot, no electrons?
I've just bought myself a CMoy headphone amp off ebay with the intention of hooking up both to our Kairn on the main system as well as to my portable CD Walkman.

So I trolled off to Maplins in Portsmouth to buy a couple of cables, one of which is a 3.5mm stereo jack to phono pair. Having used Thor cables before I decided to buy their interconnect and found it "cable-tied" to the shelves. I called the assistant over to cut the tie, only to be told that it would only work one way....i.e. from jack to phonos in the direction of the arrow embossed on the jack plug.....and would not work the other way round (which is how I will use it)!

Note that this was not that it might sound worse if connected the "wrong" way round, but that it WOULD NOT WORK AT ALL!

I endevoured to point out that it was a piece of wire and would in all probability be conducting AC in both directions (for me that's pretty restrained sarcasm). "Well, of course it's up to you, Sir, but.....", I was told emphatically (with that air of "I salesman, you ignoramus") that the arrow on the jack plug pointed in one direction and that was that.... I'd have to have a different sort of cable....at which point I gave up and bought a cable that was half the price.

And this is a store selling electronic components.....frightening, isn't it?

Suzy Wong BSc., C.Eng, M.I.E.E.
Payload Electrical Systems Group
E***-A****** UK!

PS.......I've just noticed that the cable I've bought has arrows on it as well.......and I'll be using it the wrong way round.......

I'm doomed........it's the end of life as we know it!

advertisement

Back