advertisement

It's never straightforward, is it...

GruntPuppy

pfm Member
It's been an interesting couple of days. I bought a CD player off Oneills - Shaun, and he sent it in the BEST packing I have ever seen. Double boxed, superbly padded out, and despite this the unit sustained damage in transit, refusing to open the tray.

Shaun said that he'd had a similar problem with his other player from the same manufacturer, and had solved it by opening the unit and manually helping the tray open, which had helped it reset.

This sounded reasonable to me, so I thought I give it a go. Nope! That didn't work. God only knows how, but a brass damping plate was jammed totally out of position. This is where it ended up:

stEmfJ.jpg

The pate should have been held in the "jaws" of the post it's resting on top of.

Sooo.... top off, mechanism out, post removed (it mounts to the rear of the drive assembly, as well as to the chassis), with that done the brass plate drops to where it was supposed to be - refitted the post, put it all back in....

I am so relieved. I was sure that this unit was going to be headed back to Shaun. As it is, it's just been through a lot of testing with flying colours. Sonically it's extremely detailed, and very smooooooth. I shall be experimenting with using my pre-amp's onboard dac instead of the player's native dac, as I prefer a little more "punch" to my music presentation, but this is going to make a lovely transport.

Whilst digging out cables to test this setup (I used a Myryad mdp 500 as pre-amp and an Adcom GFA585le as power amp, to TJL 3W speakers) I realised that I have enough cables after all to rig up the "big" system I've been working towards, so a start will be made tomorrow on that. The new cables will be with me in about 14 days now, so I'll have end-to-end matching interconnects then (in a fetching variegated overbraid to tone in with the racks), but at least things can be configured in advance. I only need some odds-and-sods now - isolation feet, and a couple of Ikea stools for the subwoofers and I''m set - Cable chap will either make up some speaker cables for me, or cut, overbraid and reterminate my silver speakers, and make up some mains cable sets for me too. It'll be nice to have a complicated audio setup that doesn't suffer from spaghetti - it's only been about 4 years in the making to date...

advertisement

Back