advertisement

It's in stock... ooh I've got the fever... help me somebody

isn't audiolab sound quality pretty shocking though ?

I remember back in the days, all the mags could ever bang on about was the 8000a. I finally got to hear one once and next to a musical fidelity A1 it was just about the worst integrated i'd ever heard.

I remember back in the days, all the mags could ever bang on about was the 8000a. I finally got to hear one once and next to a musical fidelity A1 it was just about the worst integrated i'd ever heard.

But this isn't really anything to do with their old amps, it's the long discussion there's been, partly here but mostly at diyaudio following the development of John W's DAC which is inside it.

I'm pretty sure you wouldn't be disappointed if you heard it. I'd like to do a direct comparison with the mighty Saturn.

Good thing it's nothing to do with the old amps, I found them well overrated. Never liked the 4000, great anticipation when I got to hear an 8000. Erm, is this supposed to be better than a 4000 then? It was no better than my Pioneer A400X, which I didn't much like either. A Quad 33/303 ripped them all up and hung them on a nail.

So this new all signing and dancing number is also a DAC then?

It was capable of sounding fantastic and terrible in equal measure and was (is) one of the most kit-dependent amps I have ever heard. However with the right speakers it punched way above its weight and showed up many much more expensive integrateds. It had a blinding (for the money) phono stage too, which was why a lot of people bought one at the time.

It was capable of sounding fantastic and terrible in equal measure and was (is) one of the most kit-dependent amps I have ever heard. However with the right speakers it punched way above its weight and showed up many much more expensive integrateds. It had a blinding (for the money) phono stage too, which was why a lot of people bought one at the time.

I bought an 8000a on the cheap for the phono stage and barry (above) suggested it with Yam 1000 NS speakers. Well I never, really quite musical and solid bass. So with the right speakers it is a real goer.

advertisement

Back