advertisement

It's 18 months now since I.....

FireMoon

pfm Member
Bought my Triggers Broom LP12 and it struck me last night, I haven't worried about it, thought about upgrading it or done anything other than enjoy listening music on it. Could it be better? Yep, I'm sure for several thousands more you could extract that bit more detail, make the imagery that bit more holographic however this is the first time for me that, vinyl wise, I have just totally enjoyed the experience since first owning a LP12 back in the early 80s.

I listened to all four sides of "The Lamb Lies Down" in one go last night for the first time in my life and yes, that could mean I'm going soft in the head however, I was left wondering why people think that's a "difficult album"?

Well if you are enjoying it now don't think about upgrading, it's when you think about upgrading you are not truly satisfied with the sound
Linn's upgrade path, imo, is expensive and then you should consider alternative brands
Keep enjoying as is :)

I listened to all four sides of "The Lamb Lies Down" in one go last night for the first time in my life and yes, that could mean I'm going soft in the head however, I was left wondering why people think that's a "difficult album"?

I wouldn't describe it as difficult, just very patchy. But it split the band which led to the production of Trick Of The Tail so every cloud eh?

And if you want to stay happy with your turntable, stay off of Hi-Fi forums! ;0)

I've always thought that a 1980s Sondek, pre Cirkus, Valhalla, is a sweet spot. Not the "best" , not the most accurate, but a deck that has you sticking on another record at 1am, just one more, on a school night, very much so.

I've always thought that a 1980s Sondek, pre Cirkus, Valhalla, is a sweet spot. Not the "best" , not the most accurate, but a deck that has you sticking on another record at 1am, just one more, on a school night, very much so.

I had one many years ago and got rid after about 2 years as it was forever going off tune and generally being a PITA. I've pretty much stuck with Thorens TD150's ever since with breaks for things like Manticore Mantra, STD305M, Technics SL150 MkII.

I had one many years ago and got rid after about 2 years as it was forever going off tune and generally being a PITA. I've pretty much stuck with Thorens TD150's ever since with breaks for things like Manticore Mantra, STD305M, Technics SL150 MkII.

Hi, I've been using a Manticore (with Musician arm & Heed Orbit power supply) for years and years.

How did it compare to the LP12 you had?

Thanks.

Hi, I've been using a Manticore (with Musician arm & Heed Orbit power supply) for years and years.

How did it compare to the LP12 you had?

Thanks.

It was too many years in between them to say really but I can't say I noticed any huge down grade going from the LP12 to other similar suspended subchassis decks. I enjoyed the Manticore and still have it but use a Thorens TD150 chassis I fitted to a Trio plinth made from an "artificial marble" type material as my main TT. I've no idea which is the better deck but wouldn't expect any major differences. It was more straightforward to fit my Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII arm to the Thorens at the end of the day!

My last upgrade (TT/arm/cart) was almost 9 years ago and I don't feel any need to upgrade. I'd like to change my amps but only because they weigh 42Kg each (yes I have two) and fear for my wife when I go to that great gig in the sky.

The record player is unbelievably good and puts the LP12/Ittok/Troika that I had for over 20 years not only in the shade but in the dark. The Linn didn't go 'off' through 4 house moves one of which was to Germany and back in our car. However it was no match for what I now have instead.

Cheers,

DV

Last major change for me was 2008 when I added a Khan top plate, new Airpax motor, belt and suspension parts.

advertisement

Back