advertisement

It ain't fusion, it ain't jazz...

MUTTY1

Waste of bandwidth
It must be something? Perhaps it is just a pleasure to listen to?

Blissfully ignorant Paul

Ps: seriously no offence - I just like; it as the album it came along with - Trains to Taung.
PPS : Nu Jazz - Are yu making this up?

Sorry: this should be in the 'Fusion is it Bollocks' thread

As Alexis Sayle once said, 'There's two types of Jazz; Fusion and Trad, and there're both crap!'

I just don't have the will to listen...

Sorry for any offence :) but Mr Sayle has a point in my book!

/me stirs

Originally posted by chiily
Sorry for any offence :) but Mr Sayle has a point in my book!
No offence taken - by me at least. Strokes for folks and all that. Also, that's two less potential punters to bump up demand for the s/h vinyl...

I don't really care about labels. It is the dance music scene that seems to be totally obsessed with labels. That's fine.
But when words like "talking drums" or even "jazz" are used - and as someone who spends a fair amount of time (and money) listening to the "originals" - it is confusing, as these elements are mostly notable by their absence.
Some of the dance music is interesting, and I enjoy listening to it. But why why "nu jazz"? I guess it sounds sophisticated or something.

Paul

Non taken mate, and I haven't made up the name, it really is Nu Jazz. Do a search on ebay for it and you will be suprised by just how much comes up.

I think it gets its name from the fact that a lot of that style of music comes from DJ mixing up old style Jazz with beats/cuts from modern dancefloor things and synth beats. And hey todays kids could never spell.

Two fine exponents of this style are Jimpster (Jamie O'Dell who also performs live with the Bays) and As One (Kirk DeGorgio).

If you live in or around Lonon check out Co op at Plastic People, 147 Curtain Road 2nd and last Sunday every month, or the forth coming Music and Movement nights yet to be arranged. Both feature FutureJazz and Broken Beatz (their terms)

Your reply makes sense - the man that oversaw St Germain is Ludovic Navarre who, according to the bio started French house music. In this particular album [ apparently a big hit] he takes various jazz staples and mixes them with electronics and african beats. Won't listen to it often but a great addition to my catholic collection of music.

Cheers Paul

PS; live in Cornwall so most of my musical experiences are second hand.

advertisement

Back