advertisement

It’s hard to change a political extremist’s mind (about anything)

yes though it doesnt take into account that different political views are first built upon a different model of power and how it works ... oftentimes more extreme require more research but are focussed on particular problems. the leftist for example is most concerned with say getting rid of corruption, exploitation and war ... and the reactionary on getting rid of financial or other regulations say. though it seems this study is based on a kind of monocultural understanding of power ... in which case yes ... it might seem that those at extremes are simply deluded and ignorant ... but the truth is there are different interests and different culture at play ... no?

Maybe if you spend your life defending bollocks you get used to everyone shouting at you and get kind of entrenched in that warm sand your head's buried in.

Got to bear in mind the differences. It's hard to detach right wing extremists from the hateful nonsense they believe because they are horrible people. Difficult to persuade leftists that their ideas are wrong because they are 100% RIGHT. No-one says of an evolutionary scientist, "She's so rigid, won't even consider the possibility that God made the dinosaurs." Being right or wrong about important stuff might make you a bit intransigent generally I suppose.

Got to bear in mind the differences. It's hard to detach right wing extremists from the hateful nonsense they believe because they are horrible people. Difficult to persuade leftists that their ideas are wrong because they are 100% RIGHT. No-one says of an evolutionary scientist, "She's so rigid, won't even consider the possibility that God made the dinosaurs." Being right or wrong about important stuff might make you a bit intransigent generally I suppose.
Sean. How far are you from the, you know, centre toward the extreme?

this is the problem with dialectics i guess ... there's this assumption that the 'centre' is automatically 'correct' by consensus ...

this is the problem with dialectics i guess ... there's this assumption that the 'centre' is automatically 'correct' by consensus ...
Well on the bell curve there’s the middle bit. It’s perhaps not one thing or the other, just typical.

I think it depends on the definition of center, which itself seems to vary a great deal from person to person and country to country. However countries that have elected avowedly far left and far right leaders don't seem to have prospered.

I think the net of the study is that people with radical beliefs tend to be overconfident and, therefore, harder to correct on a number of unrelated subjects. Present company excluded of course. :)

advertisement

Back