advertisement

It’s about time for another LS3/5a ( plus others ) Shootout.

Ok - so the hall is ours, Saturday 2nd April :)
We can have it all afternoon and into the evening if we are still going…

I need to get a firm sense of numbers about two weeks out so I can sort some food / drink etc so please keep me in the picture, those who are interested.
I’ll go back around the list who’ve already said they are game / bringing kit above nearer the time too and put a thread in the main Audio section to make sure no one misses out (not everyone visits the Classic section).

Looking forward to it

Since I proposed this back in August 2020, things have changed in my life with the unexpected death
of my eldest son.
I’m hoping to go, but haven’t made a decision yet.

Martyn,
I have only just seen this. I am so sorry to hear the terrible news - just devastating for any parent. Sending my condolences and best wishes to you and your family
Charlie

I can bring Ergo IX, which are similar in elevation to LS3/5A but somewhat deeper. I don't have suitable stands at the moment.

Also a Quad 306 if useful.

I worked at the BBC in the mid 80s, there were LS3/5A on wall brackets near the ceiling for general audio, and an LS5/8 for the important stuff. I'm sure the HH amp used with the LS3/5A wouldn't pass muster nowadays...

Hi all,
OK an update. I didn't feel right to go ahead without @Martyn, who's idea this was originally, so we've had to push back slightly.
As such I'm sorting a new date into May.
Sorry for the delay in getting this arranged. I know it will be a great day when we get it sorted.
Once I have a date I'll be going back round everyone again to confirm attendance and all the finer details.
Thanks, Richard

I am planning to come as the date is now being finalised.

I’ve just finished refurbishing a pair of ex. BBC Radio Leicester ‘3/5as.
Rogers 15 ohm models.

Replacement tweeter, new Switchcraft XLR male and new cabinet sealing tape were fitted.

They sound much better than I expected.
Yes, the Stirling V3s are superior but I could live with these old BBC ones.

I have a spare T27 tweeter with LS3/5a grille, if anyone needs one.
Also two spare tweeter grilles as well.

Sugden A21a on my bucket list as well. Timing not right for me on that one though. Need to sell some kit first. Glad it's gone to a fellow fishie.
Taking Quad 34/306 down to Rob at Amplabs tomorrow for service/checkup.
TS

Which I looked at out of interest and spotted a Sugden A21a integrated which was of interest for some time, and this one was serviced which is important to me. So I snapped it up. Therefore thank you ! Sincerely.

Will be interested to hear how it goes with your Q7s.

Cheers BB

Conan can you please please say a few words? room size, strengths, perhaps other favourites compared?
:)
Room is 4 x4m
I listen mostly at night so don't listen at high volume (<80db max)
The Nait does an excellent job of souding full and informative even at low volume.
Source is a Bluesound Node2i, streaming Tidal
The Q7 are positioned approx 40cm from the wall
Previous speakers were Harbeth P3 Es2. They are excellent but do need some juice. I found them to work better with a Quad 306.
Piano is their strong point. It sounds so realistic. They are pipe & slippers speakers.

The Q7 are a different beast. Sound more transparent, detaild and go lower. Overall more informative but still remain sweet and not harsh.
I have done speakers to death; Kans, Royds, Rega, Q Acoustics, Spendor.
The Q7 are for me the best that I have owned. No point in looking further

I wonder how the Chinese SoundArtist LS3/5A copies sound, compared to the current UK crop?

Tacky grilles aside, they do look the part:

SoundArtist-LS3-5A-Monitor-Bookshelf-Speakers-loudspeakers-1.JPG

advertisement

Back