Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

It’s about time for another LS3/5a ( plus others ) Shootout.

Discussion in 'classic' started by Martyn Miles, Aug 1, 2020.

1. Martyn Miles

Martyn Miles pfm Member

Excellent.

2. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Too far away for me sadly. I’d love to hear some of the modern LS3/5A alternatives and clones and also how other modern speakers e.g. the LS50 or equivalent ProAc compared. If I was organising it I’d certainly want to try both solid state and a really nice valve amp as to my mind the whole point of the original 15 Ohm LS3/5A in a modern context is it works so, so well with valves when so many modern small speakers just don’t. For me that is where the real magic lies and the reason I own a pair.

3. Martyn Miles

Martyn Miles pfm Member

Thanks for that, Tony.
    Useful.

4. TonyScarlett

TonyScarlett pfm Member

Indeed, the reason I moved my Amphion Argon1s on is they just didn't work with my Leak Stereo 20. They were superb with decent SS amps.

Your thoughts on which amps to use in a shootout pretty much align with my own. Maybe a vintage Leak or Radford valve amp & contemporary Naim or Rega SS amp? Amps maybe a fair few of us might have some prior experience of.

TS

5. Martyn Miles

Martyn Miles pfm Member

I’m currently running a Nait 2 with my Stirling V3s.
    Never expected it to be so good.

6. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Yes, that would be the kind of thing, maybe with some US high-end too. The thing with LS3/5As is nothing is too good for them, they’ll show the differences and what makes really good kit really good, yet they also sound superb with far more affordable stuff (e.g. a Quad 303, Nait etc). I currently drive mine with either a pair of Leak TL12 Plus or a Pass Aleph 3. The contrast is interesting. Both bring different things and the speakers reveal it well. They reveal upstream quality and character rather than needing a sledgehammer just to get going the way some little speakers do.

ampedup and TonyScarlett like this.
  7. ampedup

ampedup Lost in audio

Heck.....a pending small box fest, and I can't get there.

8. Rug Doc

Rug Doc pfm Member

That’s made my year. And all the talk of LS3/5as on open stands… I now get why they might be so popular in Japan.

9. Martyn Miles

Martyn Miles pfm Member

It’s not 100% decided yet...

10. Tarzan

Tarzan pfm Member

It would be interesting for sure, would be interested in this if it not too far away could bring The Tablette 10 along being a fan of ickle speakers.:)

RichShortland likes this.
  11. slavedata

slavedata pfm Member

I'll bring my Spendor 15ohm models to an East Midlands location

RichShortland likes this.
  12. BigBlue2020

BigBlue2020 pfm Member

I'd be interested in a shootout. I have Stirling ls3/5a V2's and Harbeth P3ESR's

I may also have other standmounts to try soon too if modern speakers are allowed, as I'm looking to try something different

Panderos and Tarzan like this.
  13. stephen bennett

stephen bennett Mr Enigma

I wouldn't mind coming depending on how far east it is!

Is someone bringing the LS3/5a's evil twin, the Linn Kan?

Stephen

Panderos and ampedup like this.
  14. sktn77a

sktn77a pfm Member

Well, I can assure you they sound absolutely horrible when positioned like that in my listening room!

ampedup and Panderos like this.
  15. foxwelljsly

foxwelljsly Hawkwind and Fire

If I still have them, I might might be able to pop along with my 1998 XLR Spendor 11ohm LS3/5as.