advertisement

Isolating feet / platform for heavy amplifier

rescuest3ve

pfm Member
Hiya,

I know, I know, not another 'do they work?!' or 'any recommendations?!' thread! But my predicament might be slightly different to warrant a fresh perspective: does anyone have any recommendations for isolation feet for a very heavy amp that's on a wooden floor? Unfortunately the amp - a 45 kilo New Audio Frontiers integrated - is stationed on the floor due to it being way too big to fit on any shelves I have. With it having 8 valves, I can't help but think that it needs to be on a vibration platform, or get some better feet for it or something.

I've seen the Les Davis Isolation Pads that might do the job, but does anyone have any other recommendations? The footprint measures 35x60cm...

Cheers

I use the Townshend pods, linked by Amber, under my MBL amps @ 60 kg each. They work well and no need to spend the significant extra on seismic podiums.

An Amp Table !
Single shelf of Quadraspire SVT with a set of floor spike columns , at a pinch Q4L ( large ) would do and a set of floor protectors . The SVT would allow air to circulate to keep the amp cooler
STV rated at 240 kg per shelf !

I did the stand and the amps at the same time so can’t ascribe benefits solely to the pods, but the changes cleaned the sound up a little. I’m at the tweaking stage with my system and didn’t expect huuugge changes.

Buy them direct from Townshend and they will do them sale or return so you try yourself. They dont get many back.

Townsend podiums are just leagues ahead of anything else I’ve tried. Townsend are selling them for £325 a set on eBay at mo...and you can return them, but bet you don’t..

I’m probably way off target here ‘cos I don’t know what I’m talking about but I was given a set of maglev feet last year, from Korea. Sound Wills something they are called. Anyway I first tried to use them under my Linn but farting around with trying to position them with just one pair of hands on top of a stack of Mana was just too scary so I decided to place them under my Sugden A21SE which weighs a puny 14 kilos and was clearly underweight as it barely depressed the opposed magnetcaged piston/plunger thingies. Anyway I had the brainwave of using just 3 of the feet, first of all along the edges of the amp but later in a much smaller isosceles arrangement roughly around where the toroidal is situated where the pistons could easily be seen to be doing their job, The amp wobbles like a jelly. It never crossed my mind they might do something but a day later I realised my music was definitely sounding better all over, as in more real. I know Mana is good for LP12s but had never believed in supports affecting amps and things until I heard my Maglevs under my Sugden. I don’t know why I am answering a post about 40 odd kilo power amps other than to say that perhaps the perimeter -4 corners - might not always be the best place to support an amp.

I have a single one-off Townshend platform that was made for a heavy subwoofer...

It's sprung, not the air bladder type.

I'm not using it - could be perfect??

Should be the D rated ones you need...

Message Russ (user- hi-fisound) on eBay and he’ll sort you out at the right price. Or ring Sue at Townsend..

Thanks all! I'll take a butchers at the Townshend's, I reckon.
I have a pair of the bladder type that I used under my speakers that need a home if you are interested. I'll have a look to see what I paid as I've no idea what they might be worth..
I'm only not using them as I've get a set of their bars under my speakers now !

advertisement

Back