advertisement

Isle of Wight

Why?
I lived there 10 years and friends all over there still.
Once upon a time, The isle was like a 50's cartoon of a seaside town...crowded beaches smelling of sun tan lotion, screaming kids with candyfloss and coaches full of workers from the midland come for the sunshine and larfs. In remote corners, there did then exist quiet havens where more adventurous kids could splash on a rockpool beach. The Crab and Lobster at Bembridge really caught what you ate that day (my mates dad owned one of the boats), and the ferry only cost £5 for a return.

Most of that is gone now. They built 10,000 new homes, and even the caravan parks are closing down. Once posh Ventnor is now rotting noisily into a run down hole, and the good bits are now so remote even those who know where they are can't be assed going.

And for this, it's hundreds of pounds return.

I suggest you fly OVER it in your private helicopter, and land further west at some modern villa in posh land down the coast at Sandbanks. Much more you.

There is an alternative reply to this one, but you need the code 'I like the Isle of Wight' to unlock it ;)
because we want to see for ourselves

your post is deeply unhelpful
deeply truthful. But go see, although do try and understand, that apart from Cowes during Cowes week, the Island is not overburdened with 5 star hotels. In general, Cowes and Bembridge are posher, the West, and especially the South West are rural, beautiful and quieter, Sandown and Shanklin hideous, Ryde and Newport ok. We lived in Bembridge, Ryde and near Fishbourne during our 10 years, but know the island backwards. Just go and see. I believe that tourist always find what they expect?

Cowes and Bembridge are posher, the West, and especially the South West are rural, beautiful and quieter, Sandown and Shanklin hideous, Ryde and Newport ok. We lived in Bembridge, Ryde and near Fishbourne during our 10 years, but know the island backwards. Just go and see.

useful bits of opinion

I believe that tourist always find what they expect?

I have no idea what that means -

also unhelpful, thanks

Here to help.
t2708.gif

About 15 years ago my (late) wife and I stayed at a weekend holiday cottage with the dog in tow. For that reason possibly rose tinted memories of an enjoyable meal at a restaurant in Seaview, a location I liked, though we didn't spend that much time there. So, my suggestion (not a recommendation) is that it could be worth checking out Seaview and a hotel there.

Seaview, Isle of Wight - Wikipedia

The Hotel | Seaview Hotel

My last visit was a couple of years later, so I don't know how much it's changed, or whether it's lost it's charm, but for me, IOW was like stepping off the ferry into the west country, avoiding the seaside holiday areas and enjoying the rural aspect. Stunning cliff walks on the south coast. Invigorating but challenging cycling on the 100km round the Island cycle route where it's mostly uphill (very) or downhill and not much flat. There are nature reserves and red squirrels.

We didn't use public transport, took the car. I'd say still do that, though if taking your own as opposed to hiring, it can be difficult getting a berth at peak times.

IOW definitely worth a visit IMHO.

advertisement

Back