Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Island Records: Chris Blackwell at 84

Discussion in 'music' started by Finnegan, Jun 6, 2022.

1. Finnegan

Finnegan pfm Member

2. mikechadwick

mikechadwick pfm Member

Looking forward to reading "The Islander: My Life in Music and Beyond", due in a couple of weeks apparently

Weekender and gavreid like this.
  3. guey

guey pfm Member

Just ordered the book from Rough Trade, signed, and with a free t-shirt.

4. Aethelist

Aethelist pfm Member

Kindle version here. Run out of room for storing books.

5. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

He’s had some life.

6. Finnegan

Finnegan pfm Member

Just started reading Island Life. Didn’t realise his early life was real, Ripping Yarns, Boy’s Own stuff- hobnobbing with Errol Flynn, Ian Fleming and Noel Coward. Blackwell makes no attempt to pretend he wasn’t born into colonial opulence and privilege (didn’t know his family owned Appleton’s Estate rum distillery) but his loathing for the racism of the plantocracy and his affinity with black Jamaicans their music shines through. Great stuff.

Seanm and gavreid like this.
  7. Finnegan

Finnegan pfm Member

Yeah maybe, no idea of the financial arrangement between Island and the Jamaican artists it carried, but it’s undeniable that Blackwell was instrumental in popularising Jamaican music and introducing the white rock crowd to reggae.

8. eguth

eguth pfm Member

Passed his shop many times when I lived in The Grove.

The black community said he was ripping them off. I don't know whether this was fair comment. I do know that they also said this about another promoter in The Grove. They manhandled this second one (once).

They [The Community] had a huge chip on their shoulder. Quite understandable. Many were acting like 'A Law Unto Themselves': or so it seemed at times. They were treated, often, by some of the locals and some of police as if they were savages.

I got along well with many of them, probably because I got involved with the carnival committee, took part in carnival, and played as a musician with some prominent Grove musicians.

I regret I didn't pop in to see Blackwell.

9. mikechadwick

mikechadwick pfm Member

Fascinating read - highly recommended. @eguth I had no idea he had a shop in Ladbroke Grove - when was this?

10. guey

guey pfm Member

Yup, great read; and full of TIL moments, even for a long time Island Records fan.
    Warm Leatherette and Nightclubbing both recorded in a session lasting just over a week - pretty gobsmacking.

11. eguth

eguth pfm Member

I chose the wrong word to describe the Island building. Not a shop. I assumed, wrongly, that this would not be taken literally. As I said, my remarks relate to the 70s- mostly in the early 70s.