advertisement

Islamophobia rife in the Conservative party

OK, sean and drood, one dog walk & swim later, I apologise & accept your comments and amend to "apparent reticence".

A UK-resident Indian friend of mine over the last 40 years is married to a prominent Muslim lawyer, now known well to the Muslim Council. Having supper with them around 2006, I commented on a letter I'd read in The Sunday Times concerning a perceived inadequately low level of response to the 2005 London bombings from the UK's Muslim community & the concern that underlying this is a belief held by many Muslims that quite possibly jihad should be supported in some way ... or at least not necessarily outright condemned, as it might be disloyal to their faith to do so. I added that I too felt this concern. My friend's wife clearly understood this and made no attempt to brush it aside, telling me that this was being addressed as fully as possible at every level of the UK Muslim community. In other words, it was indeed an issue.

There's no doubt that today all the right proclamations are being made, but it might be naive to underestimate the degree of subtle support that still exists for certain imams, most of whom are now much more careful with their language than in the past. Even Yusuf Islam, by most accounts a lovely, peace-loving fellow, said some extraordinarily provocative things in the past - remember the Rushdie fatwa commotion ?

So, perhaps you will call me Islamaphobic : if concern about anyone's underlying religious agenda possibly involving violence meets that definition, then so be it. I expect I have closely known and still know a lot more Muslims that the average Scottish Presbyterian, having studied the teachings of Pir Vilayat Inayat Khan in my youth & even attempted (unsuccessfully) to read a translation of the Koran. If it was possible to have a new language "uploaded" Matrix style (think Neo's martial arts or helicopter flying), Arabic would be my immediate first choice, purely for the unbridled joy of Rumi's poetry untouched by translation.
cat stevens yusuf islam unfortunately hooked into a grim wahabist end of the spectrum .... about as unliberal a connection with Mohamaddism (sp? no insult intended) as was available back in the 70's when he got religion... there was a meme of musicians Richard and I think Linda Thompson, the double bass player from Pentangle, Gary Moore amongst others all found more relaxed, non saudi connected threads to hang onto... if anyone is interested

Vile. By saying that the Conservatives are the party of Enoch Powell, the “Want a N***** for a neighbour, vote Labour” election slogan, “Hang Nelson Mandela” t-shirts, the Windrush scandal, Grenfell etc. It amazes me someone as seemingly bright and decent as Sayeeda Warsi didn’t spot what they were decades ago. It was obvious to many of us!

It’s going to get buried alive because it looks like a general election is coming! The anti-Labour slander machine is going to go into overdrive.

Half of their members anyway.

https://www.businessinsider.com/pol...ers-boris-johnson-leadership-2019-6?r=US&IR=T

This is an important (YouGov) poll. It ought to be all over the news. I'm not even talking about the obvious double standards here: I'm talking about the wilful dereliction of the journalistic duty to inform and elucidate. It's impossible to understand what's happening in the country without understanding what's happened to the Conservative Party on precisely this issue, but there may as well be a ban on reporting it.

The poll also found that:
  • 43% of Conservative Party members "would prefer to not have the country led by a Muslim."
  • 45% believe that "there are areas in Britain in which non-Muslims are not able to enter."
  • 67% believe that "there are areas in Britain that operate under Sharia law."
  • 39% believe that "Islamist terrorists reflect a widespread hostility to Britain amongst the Muslim community."

No wonder Hunt has been burnishing his anti-Muslim credentials. Boris doesn't have to of course.

Aside from being appalling in itself, it also shows up the naked hypocrisy in Tories’ castigation of Labour’s ‘antisemitism problem’.

It’s almost like the Conservative party is trying to corner the market in all the worst aspects of the human psyche. Maybe they understand human nature better than everybody else. Depressing thought.

I guess there's no Islamophobia in the Conservative PArty. The alternative, after all, is that quite a lot of other people in politics and in the media are incompetent, Islamophobic or both.

Bumping a thread on Tory islamophobia to complain that Labour supporters keep trying to deflect attention onto Tory Islamophobia.

advertisement

Back