advertisement

Is there a way to bypass naim phono boards

x21

pfm Member
My question is in the title. Is it possible to bypass without too much trouble?

Yes, you just pull them out and link two pins. Alligator clip leads do an excellent job if you want to just try it. What you get is an additional line level input just like any other.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/14396906...d=link&campid=5338728743&toolid=20001&mkevt=1

A more permanent job can be done with a wire link appropriately soldered in (or reinstated in some cases) , of if you want to spend some silly money a link card.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Yes for shoe box and wide box pre's up to the end of the olive line. RSL have them for shoe box pre's but I imagine there's a bit of a problem for the wide box pre's since the connectors are no longer available.

I heard a rumour that Kit was offering 5 series phono cards (which would interest me) but I don't see how that's possible if the connectors are now made of unobtanium.

I suppose wire wrapping the pins would suffice? I want to be able to undo it down the road. I am using a nac 42 if that's any help.

Depends on what pre-amp you have, but this works for NAC32 / 32.5 / 72 type pre-amps.
Get 4 of these (2 per board you want to bypass) -
https://www.mouser.ca/ProductDetail/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMvT7Of4ktfHLtSyJ6UF2bX4k%2bRf7wp1HsM= (It's a Canadian website but I'm sure they are available locally somewhere near you) and a few inches of 20AWG ish stranded hookup wire, crimp or solder to make a couple of jumpers and if you want to get fancy put some heatshrink on, remove the boards and push your jumpers onto the input and output pins of the motherboard for the boards you removed, info on which pins are the input/output pins to jumper out is easily findable on the www coz I can't post a picture - et voila - job done. Just make sure you don't jumper the +24V/GND by mistake.

Reactions: x21
Depends on what pre-amp you have, but this works for NAC32 / 32.5 / 72 type pre-amps.
Get 4 of these (2 per board you want to bypass) -
https://www.mouser.ca/ProductDetail/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMvT7Of4ktfHLtSyJ6UF2bX4k%2bRf7wp1HsM= (It's a Canadian website but I'm sure they are available locally somewhere near you) and a few inches of 20AWG ish stranded hookup wire, crimp or solder to make a couple of jumpers and if you want to get fancy put some heatshrink on, remove the boards and push your jumpers onto the input and output pins of the motherboard for the boards you removed, info on which pins are the input/output pins to jumper out is easily findable on the www coz I can't post a picture - et voila - job done. Just make sure you don't jumper the +24V/GND by mistake.
Thankfully I'm in Canada so this is perfect. Is there a pinout?

I suppose wire wrapping the pins would suffice? I want to be able to undo it down the road. I am using a nac 42 if that's any help.
Wire wrapping is an option too, but you need the exact wirewrap tool for the pin size and the specific AWG solid wire you want to use, not many people have these tools or wire at home. Using the pins I suggested and making a couple of jumpers is much easier, you could also solder direct to the pins but then it'll never be "stock" again.

Yes for shoe box and wide box pre's up to the end of the olive line. RSL have them for shoe box pre's but I imagine there's a bit of a problem for the wide box pre's since the connectors are no longer available.

I heard a rumour that Kit was offering 5 series phono cards (which would interest me) but I don't see how that's possible if the connectors are now made of unobtanium.

The originals might not be available anymore (I haven't looked), but its an easy task to modify an Amp one designed for crimp/connector snap-in type to 2 leg vertical PCB solder, it just takes good wire cutters.

Just solder some solid core wire very neatly directly to the tips of the pins. If you do it upside down the solder won't foul the pins and can be easily wicked away later if required.

There is a thread on here where a fish spotted a source for, I think, the tin plated version of the same connector. Not sure if that is what Kit is using or not since I am a shoe box kinda guy.

NA326

677339-47f47634-naim_na3261_factory_passive_boards.jpg

advertisement

Back