advertisement

Is There A Turntable That Can Automatically Replay A Track?

ryder

pfm Member
Is there a turntable that can automatically detect the duration of a musical track by the groove lines on the record and replay the track without having the user going up to the turntable and moving the tonearm? I've got up from my listening chair more than 50 times yesterday to replay the same track on the turntable. On certain days I can listen to the same song for hours (on repeat). It's easy on a CD player but quite a chore with a turntable.

Does such a turntable exist? It would be great if a remote is available for selecting tracks but that would be asking too much.

I believe Technics, and also I have a feeling B&O had ranges of automatic linear tracking turntables that could also skip tracks.

Personally though, what you want to do sounds like a job for a tape recorder, or in this day and age, recording with your computer and then hitting repeat.

The Technics linear trackers can repeat a side, but not an individual track. Unsure about their conventional decks but would think it unlikely.

Try an ADC Accutrac. Better yet, there was a fantastic Aiwa deck from the early '80s, LP-3000 I think it was called. This had a very sophisticated eye system and programming that allowed you to play any sequence of tracks in whatever order as many times as you liked. It was hugely expensive so there aren't many around, and I'd imagine that if anything goes wrong it would be a nightmare to fix. However, it supposedly sounded very good indeed, although the massive arm would only work with a low compliance MC cartridge.

Ah, I found a picture from Audio Exstasa:
imagemagic.php

Mmm the SL6, huh. Another must for my growing Technics LT collection.

The SL15 is nearly impossible to find. My theory is they only made about 50. Reputedly a brilliant deck.

I've not heard the 15 but have listened to a supercharged SL10 , very good indeed , I'm told the 15 is more or less the same performance but with programmability , and a 205 mm cart rather than the 310 mc .

I just cchecked , you can program the SL6 to play 1 track and put it on repeat , sorted .

I have an SL-10 with a re-tipped 310MC, it's very good indeed.

Did a quick search for an SL-6 - nothing around at the moment.

There's an SL-15 on the 'Bay right now...

It was a programmable version of the SL-10. The SL-10 was a very good performer but, having had a few of them over the years, and compared on a number of occasions, with the same cart, I'd put the SL-7 a nose ahead.

There's an SL-15 on the 'Bay right now...

It was a programmable version of the SL-10. The SL-10 was a very good performer but, having had a few of them over the years, and compared on a number of occasions, with the same cart, I'd put the SL-7 a nose ahead.
Funny, I'd put the SL-10 ahead. The lid is far more substantial than on the SL-7, which unfortunately is excellent at transmitting any external vibration straight to the cartridge. I found sorbothane feet plus a substantial book on the lid helped.

They are both nice sounding turntables, and there are quite a few available now which had little use, owing to them coming out roughly at the same time as the CD.

Funny, I'd put the SL-10 ahead. The lid is far more substantial than on the SL-7, which unfortunately is excellent at transmitting any external vibration straight to the cartridge. I found sorbothane feet plus a substantial book on the lid helped.

They are both nice sounding turntables, and there are quite a few available now which had little use, owing to them coming out roughly at the same time as the CD.

Something by Ayn Rand perhaps, might help if the soundstage was vering to the left?

:)

Technics learned a few things from the SL-10 and managed to improve some of the issues with it when they designed the SL-7. The microprocessor and drive system was a problem. I recall reviewers at the time criticised the SL-10 for a trace of arm rumble - mainly down to the motor and drive system. This was fixed with the SL-7 and advances in microchips allowed the processing to be substantially reduced. A win-win situation because you had a better arm drive for less money. Main issue with the '7 is if the lid catches are worn or broken (as many are by now). This affects performance considerably.

In no particular order:

- ADC Accutrac 4000 (plus its associated Accutrac +6 and BSR Accuglide XR60 variants)

- Aiwa LP3000. Magnificent machine but track selection is a lot less reliable than the Accutrac, surprisingly. (I speak from experience as I own both!)

- Technics SL-15 and SL-6, as mentioned.

- Optonica RP-9100 (RP-7100 does have track selection but not a repeat function as far as I recall.)

- Sony Biotracer PSB-80 - doesn't track select as such but you can predefine start and stop points anywhere on an LP side and get it to repeat this selected passage as required.

Contrary to what many believe, although many were remote controllable and had whole-side repeat functionality, no B&O deck ever had track selection capabilities.

advertisement

Back