advertisement

Is there a kind fish who can solder a cartridge tag on for me please?

deebster

Half Man Half Biscuit
A tag has come off my LP12 and I don't want to risk my hamfisted efforts at soldering one back on, so if someone is able to help me out please I'd be very grateful. Happy to deliver to you and pay.

I haven't got any new tags either, but I do have some short leads with tags on each end that I found in my box of random turntable spares, plus one of these that I had planned to use a tag from before I chickened out completely.

I'm in NE Birmingham, so West Midlands area preferred.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Probably not much help...

I have soldered wires to tags in the past (if that's what you are asking for) and it's nigh on impossible to not melt the insulation. It works but it looks messy.
I think they are generally crimped on, and for that you need sombody with the right tool.

A lot are soldered from the factory. I’ve done broken ones many times over the years. As you say melting the insulation is easy, though that can be covered with heat-shrink which adds a little strain-relief too. In the past I’ve often ended up doing all four. I’d not really want to do it now as my eyes are less good, though I did manage to stick a tag back on a spare fixed-shell 3009 a year or so ago.

Hi,
Wondering what arm you have on your LP12.
Most I have seen have 4 pins up inside the headshell where it meets the arm tube, use the short wires that you have and swap the faulty wire, fine nose pliers are useful for this.
Of course it’s possible that you have an arm that has the wires running straight through in which case disregard the above
I’m 200 miles from Birmingham so not much help with the soldering solution
Regards
Mark

Thanks for the replies gents.

Yes, even with reading glasses on the eyesight thing is putting me off, as well as generally not being very experienced at soldering. I intend to sell it one of these years too, so really don't want its value stuffed by a poor DIY attempt.

The arm is an Akito mk1 and I don't have a dealer as I haven't bought any new kit this century. It looks to me like the arm leads do run through the arm.

A kind local fish has offered to help so I may be OK, but any suggestions etc still welcomed.

Ah, sorry, I've just got my readers on, a magnifying glass and had a closer look and yes, I think I see pins inside the end of the arm, so fitting a replacement lead (that I have a set of) may well be all I need.

Still a bit daunting as I don't want to risk damaging the arm bearings and I've never removed one, but fingers crossed I can do it. I'll let you know.

I live in fear of putting the leads on my cart when I mount it. Then again it has no guard provision

advertisement

Back