advertisement

Is the UK Governments Furlough scheme a smoke screen?

Snufkin

pfm Member
I have long been of the opinion the UK Government were so quick to roll out a furlough scheme in order to cover up the woeful state of our benefits system. Even Universal Credit has had a temporary prop of an additional £20 a week. Without the furlough scheme an awful lot of people would have discovered the grim reality of what they have been voting for all these years. What really got my goat this morning was listening to a Government spokesperson, Nadine Dorries, using the cost of the ‘furlough smoke screen’ to justify only giving nurses a 1% pay rise. One smoke screen to build on another.

I’d certainly not listen to a parasitic expenses trough-feeder such as Nadine Dorries on any subject. One of the most repugnant hypocrites in a party absolutely rammed full of them. I bet she gave her daughter and sister, both of whom she employs (or certainly did) on the public purse, a far larger pay ride than any nurse can ever expect.

In 2013, Dorries' daughter was reportedly among the highest-earning family members employed by MPs with a salary of £40,000–45,000 as an office manager, even though her daughter lived 96 miles away from the office. Subsequently, Dorries' sister was taken on as "senior secretary" with a salary of £30,000–35,000.” (Wikipedia).

advertisement

Back