Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Is Rega now bigger than Linn?

Discussion in 'audio' started by Nigel, Nov 4, 2019.

1. Nigel

Nigel pfm Member

Gotta be hasn't it?

Going back to the eighties, used to be Linn, Naim, Rega. In that order. Surely no longer the case? Good luck to them, always seem great value for money and exceptional after sales customer service.

2. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

In 2018, Linn turned over £16m, Rega £13m. They did generate more profit than Linn on that smaller turnover though. I wonder what the cost of goods is on an RP10?

nmtjb likes this.
  3. david ellwood

david ellwood Kirabosi Kognoscente

B&W turnover is over 100M

which is tiny compared to Sony at over 50B

I.D.C. likes this.
  4. I.D.C.

I.D.C. pfm Member

16 million does not seem a lot of money given the size of the factory and number of employees at Linn.

5. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

This backs up my earlier comments about Linn & how their marketing power has been massively exagerated. They are a relatively tiny company with very little power in a hyper niche industry.

6. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

Who cares?

7. Rockmeister

Rockmeister pfm Member

Nigel?

jamington2004 likes this.
  8. PerF

PerF Scandinavian Member

Its the profit and reputation that matters

9. I.D.C.

I.D.C. pfm Member

Thanks I feel a whole lot better for that news. Jokes aside does it matter a company's size to how sound quality is ?

10. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

No, the size of the company is irrelevant to SQ. It is nice if the company is around for when things go wrong though. I have an LP12 myself so not a Linn hater.

I.D.C. likes this.
  11. I.D.C.

I.D.C. pfm Member

Have had a few Linn systems over the years now not. Linn are a very innovative company doing a lot of research into electronics. They bought a metal cutting machine recently to bring case work in house. I'm all for any British hifi maker to do well.

Woodface likes this.
  12. culletman

culletman Active Member

How do you define bigger?
    Product range, turnover, profit, size of workforce ?

13. misterdog

misterdog Not the canine kind

QOP, Quality of product.

VFM. Value for money.

'Bigger' has bugger all to do with it.

Thomas Cook were 'bigger'.

Stupid thread IMO. Ethernet cables are far more important. :eek:

Zombie likes this.
  14. Nigel

Nigel pfm Member

It's just that I was reading a Roy Gandy interview last night. I was thinking back to the time when Rega offered a couple of turntables, a few cartridges and the wall shelf. Back to the days when the turntable of desire was the Linn Sondek LP12. That desire was still in reach for ordinary folk. Even I eventually purchased one. I don't know what the current LP12 price of entry is but I suspect it might be beyond a family man on average wages. On the other hand, Rega have hugely expanded their product portfolio but still cater within that range for the average person. It's not unobtainable. It occurred to me that Rega's business model may have proved more successful to the point where they have now overtaken Linn.

15. Nigel

Nigel pfm Member

Probably is a stupid thread. I'd much rather be reading the political conversation.

16. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

Rega were always seen as the little guy, fighting against 'the man', now they are 'the man'. Rega have ridden the wave of the vinyl revival with a wide range of turntables which offer a clear upgrade path. Not a million miles away from what Linn used to do (they had 3 models at one time I recall) but they slimmed down to one with, yes, a clear upgrade path. Somehow Linn have become the devil incarnate for this whereas Rega are still seen as golden.

17. misterdog

misterdog Not the canine kind