advertisement

Is our Foreign Secretary a fascist?

notaclue

pfm Member
The evidence is growing. His inability to criticise Trump. His strange support of Toby Young. His numerous comments going back a long time. And now this...

"The US is the biggest single investor in the UK - yet Khan & Corbyn seem determined to put this crucial relationship at risk. We will not allow US-UK relations to be endangered by some puffed up pompous popinjay in City Hall." https://twitter.com/BorisJohnson/status/951774645606322176

Again, there was nothing criticising Trump from Johnson. Just a personal attack on Khan.

The evidence is growing. His inability to criticise Trump. His strange support of Toby Young. His numerous comments going back a long time. And now this...

"The US is the biggest single investor in the UK - yet Khan & Corbyn seem determined to put this crucial relationship at risk. We will not allow US-UK relations to be endangered by some puffed up pompous popinjay in City Hall." https://twitter.com/BorisJohnson/status/951774645606322176

Again, there was nothing criticising Trump from Johnson. Just a personal attack on Khan.

I don't think any of this means Johnson is 'a fascist'. It's an example of what George Orwell was complaining about in the 1940s when people used 'fascist' as an all-purpose insult for anyone they didn't like or with whom they disagreed:

http://orwell.ru/library/articles/As_I_Please/english/efasc

'It will be seen that, as used, the word ‘Fascism’ is almost entirely meaningless. In conversation, of course, it is used even more wildly than in print. I have heard it applied to farmers, shopkeepers, Social Credit, corporal punishment, fox-hunting, bull-fighting, the 1922 Committee, the 1941 Committee, Kipling, Gandhi, Chiang Kai-Shek, homosexuality, Priestley's broadcasts, Youth Hostels, astrology, women, dogs and I do not know what else.'

Johnston isn't a fascist in fact I'm not sure he holds any strong political viewpoint other than to do whatever is best for himself.

Boris Johnson doesn’t have the intellectual rigour to be a fascist or any other kind of ideologue. The man is a vacuous self-serving popularist gobshite who will say anything for effect and change his allegiances on the slightest whim. He is remarkably Trump-like in many respects (though not as far as I’m aware a racist) I suspect he is only a Conservative as no other party would entertain such a clown.

PS His sister Rachel got the Johnson family brain allocation.

Boris Johnson doesn’t have the intellectual rigour to be a fascist or any other kind of ideologue. The man is a vacuous self-serving popularist gobshite who will say anything for effect and change his allegiances on the slightest whim. He is remarkably Trump-like in many respects (though not as far as I’m aware a racist) I suspect he is only a Conservative as no other party would entertain such a clown.

I don`t know, I think he would fit right in with the Kippers.

I forgot to say he also spoke out on the Virgin Daily Mail ban.

I don't think it's a case of him being willing to say anything for effect or popularity or him not having a political ideology. He is increasingly saying things that align him to the intolerant right. I think this is where his politics lies. As with Trump, his Twitter outbursts give him away.

PS His sister Rachel got the Johnson family brain allocation.

Their brother Jo is probably the one to keep an eye on. I believe he has brains, and he's quiet.

I don't, incidentally, believe for one minute that BJ is anything but highly intelligent. I'm equally certain that his application of that intelligence is not so good, or well judged.

We should be telling trump to shove the "special relationship" up his orange arse. Or maybe you think not entering a "special relationship" with that nice Mr Hitler was a sadly lost trade opportunity?

The guy is a buffoon who should not be allowed out on his own, or access to sharp objects. Were this advice to be followed, it would not matter what his viewpoint was. As it is he has been given the FO, a department run by rather clever civil servants who are no doubt running rings around his bumbling efforts to interfere. I'm sure this is the reason to stick such an idiot in this department.

We should be telling trump to shove the "special relationship" up his orange arse. Or maybe you think not entering a "special relationship" with that nice Mr Hitler was a sadly lost trade opportunity?

Yeah! Especially as part of the very influential EU block we can make the US listen to more sensible policy ideas... ...oh, wait...

advertisement

Back