Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Is Naim snake oil?

Discussion in 'audio' started by Furrowedbrow, Jan 1, 2018.

1. stevebrock

stevebrock pfm Member

I own a 102/180/hicap - the hicap has CHC reg boards on it - only because i bought it like that - im just a normal guy - wanted to try the olive gear for years and I do quite like it - I joined the naim forum OMG what a load of idiots on there. Unless you have 500 series components then you a right down the naim hierarchy and seen as a peasant.

fools

2. Arkless Electronics

Arkless Electronics Trade: Amp design and repairs.

Yep that puts it well Mull... Long have I wondered at the way some take even a technical critique of something as a personal insult...

Mullardman likes this.
  3. insider9

insider9 pfm Member

Thanks for the summary. I was hoping for one as would probably giving up reading all the pages.

OP if you're considering Naim I'd suggest looking at Densen. I went from Naim to Densen and it's been a revelation. (I freely admit this could've been mentioned already.)

4. Mike Reed

Mike Reed pfm Member

Well, I'm glad that's behind me !

5. Mike Reed

Mike Reed pfm Member

That definitely gets my lunar tick. The special deposit is the responsibility of one Fairy Nuff.

6. Arkless Electronics

Xerxes and Elite Rock my favourite turntables of all time at any price with Logic DM101 after that. I wouldn't give yer £50 for a 301 or TD124 or EMT...(unless I could flog them to buy something else of course!). I could have had a 401 and 301 for about that much from a mate who collected them and was always trying to get me interested in them, to no avail. "Yes we're all different" according to the large crowd in The Life of Brian...

7. Darth Vader

Darth Vader From the Dark Side

The one thing that is missing in these sort of debates is the loud speaker. The amp should work well with its speaker and not the other way around. Its possible that amp A gives a perceived better performance with speaker A but gives a poor performance with speaker B. Then we may find that amp B gives a better perceived performance with speaker B.We then have two people arguing whether amp A or B is better when in fact the answer is 'it depends'.

Cheers,

DV

8. wylton

wylton Naim and Mana member

Re the Xerxes, I'd go one step further and describe it as a complete pile of Sh*t; a budget record player of the worst order, dressed up with an audiophile price tag! Like Tony, I won't deal with the company either after the way way treated me.

9. kendo

kendo Prussian bot

You're not the Marion type then? :)

10. PerF

PerF Scandinavian Member

Interesting comments on the old Xerxes

Are the later Roksan 10 & #20 different animals I guess?, never heard of problems and possible easier to get going

To my knowledge Touraj has left/sold Roksan and created Vertere, I heard one of their turntables at a show and it was stunning, didn't like the looks though but you sort of forget that once the music gets going

11. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

I actually feel a bit embarrassed for buying something with such a blindingly obvious design flaw. That a naff piece of unsupported MDF would inevitably bend under the weight of a fairly heavy platter and tonearm didn’t really need the computational power of NASA to figure out! By saying that it absolutely isn’t the role of the consumer to analyse such incompetent design and inadequate build, and it was an insane amount of money for me at the time hence my still being a tad annoyed even now! One of the most stupid ideas in audio history IMHO backed up by total intransigence when it came to customer service.

Mine must have been one of the very first Xerxes. I bought it just after the initial rave review in HiFi Review, so would have been in 1986 IIRC. As can just be made out in the pic it has the Mk I PSU (the type that blew up as it didn’t have adequate heat-sinking) and was in the totally black finish (including opaque black lid) that was the only available finish at the time. I only had a fairly lightweight RB300 on it, so I hate to think how quickly it would have failed with say a FR64S!

12. Arkless Electronics

The best I've ever heard vinyl sound has been with a Xerxes.... and on more than one occasion with different systems.

13. Craig B

Craig B Re:trophile

The Xerxes did sound great but so did a lot of other turntables at the time. In Roksan's case, the real risk to a designer's credibility is that history tells us that it isn't always wise to attempt to find novel engineering solutions to problems that don't actually exist.

14. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Its almost funny. If one has to cut a structural integrity compromising channel in a material to break up resonances the lesson learned should have been that material was fundamentally unsuited for a turntable chassis in the first place, and to look for better alternatives! Lucky whoever designed it wasn’t an architect or car/plane designer!

PS Current deck: 1965 TD-124/II, mint condition, no sag!

15. wylton

wylton Naim and Mana member

You sum it up nicely sir, in a less angry fashion than myself. I must admit, as well as being embarrassed (still to this day) like Tony, at ever having bought one, I still feel guilty at selling it, especially given that the guy travelled all the way from Belgium to collect it! In all honesty, I should have skipped it.

16. Mike Reed

Mike Reed pfm Member

TONY, I sold my Xerxes (with Artemiz and Shiraz) in 1995 when I got the Orbe. I had it for about 5 years, which means I bought it a few years later than you, so maybe they improved it in the interim, as I had no sagging problems at all. The power supply, however, failed soon after set-up and was replaced (by Raleigh HiFi) and I think that was the original hot-running box as well.

The Xerxes was by no means a budget turntable; as I went from LP12/ Ittok, I considered it a more costly upgrade at the time.

17. Rockmeister

Rockmeister pfm Member

I liked the sound, but never heard of those Xerxes probs till now.
    Similar story to PT maybe. Loved that decks sound, but quality control was apparently non existent.
    It's odd but I've never heard an SME 20. Always did wonder how that would be. Nor, come to that the new Rock 7...even odder since I loved my MK2. One day maybe.

18. Arkless Electronics

If I could find one cheap enough (way less than £100) i would be tempted to buy it and then start to try and find a way of curing the sag. I'd build my own power supply for it.

19. Guest432

Guest432 Guest

Already fixed, there's a number of companies that do it now, it can even be done DIY.

20. Rockmeister

Rockmeister pfm Member

short length of rsj should do the trick.