advertisement

Miranda Sawyer?

theadmans

pfm Member
Constantly during the late 80s and 90s Miranda Sawyer's name would pop up in New Order docs...

...tonight I am watching the BBC Imagine programme on The Pet Shop Boys - again inexplicably we have Miranda Sawyer contributing nothing.

Has anyone stole a living as much as Miranda Sawyer?

Edith Bowman?

Lay off Edith, she's a good laugh and mad keen on helping new bands, she covered and attended most of the wickerman festivals we put on here in galloway along with Vic Galloway (I pushed her into a paddling pool - very funny at the time...............guess you had to be there)

Constantly during the late 80s and 90s Miranda Sawyer's name would pop up in New Order docs...

...tonight I am watching the BBC Imagine programme on The Pet Shop Boys - again inexplicably we have Miranda Sawyer contributing nothing.

Miranda Swayer is a smart woman and a very good journalist and was "in the room" for quite a few of these bands and events in the 90s.

I've always felt similar about Guy Garvey who seems a nice bloke but can be a bit of a rent a quote at times. He sings in a ok / average band but often pops up giving quite run of the mill comments about artists who are far more interesting in every way than Elbow.

Miranda Swayer is a smart woman and a very good journalist and was "in the room" for quite a few of these bands and events in the 90s.

I've always felt similar about Guy Garvey who seems a nice bloke but can be a bit of a rent a quote at times. He sings in a ok / average band but often pops up giving quite run of the mill comments about artists who are far more interesting in every way than Elbow.
I find Elbow incredibly boring. His radio show is OK. Let’s be honest though, he’s massively winning at life.

In the late eighties and early to mid-nineties, we had the Late Show (or was it Late Review?) on BBC2, after Newsnight. A whole range of genuinely new and interesting music turned up on this - including Portishead, and their unlamented imitators Salad.

There were lots of interesting presenters on this - including Miranda Sawyer, and, weirdly, Alison Pearson, now doyenne of the conspiracist right.

I always thought Miranda had a certain admirable edge.

I didn’t see the program in question but in fairness that kind of BBC retrospective program often tends to fall far short of real content and have to resort to some tangental talking heads just to fill out time. Miranda Sawyer is a BBC/Guardian arts/music journalist, so it is understandable she was dragged out to help fill dead time and pad out content without having to pay copyright. I‘ve nothing against her at all. The issues with this type of programming lands with the producer, commissioning editor or whoever. New Order were always pretty reclusive, so despite a vast catalogue and wide influence you’d be exceptionally lucky to get an interesting hours worth of interviews from them. Certainly not now Peter Hook is no longer there!

In the late eighties and early to mid-nineties, we had the Late Show (or was it Late Review?) on BBC2, after Newsnight. A whole range of genuinely new and interesting music turned up on this - including Portishead, and their unlamented imitators Salad.

There were lots of interesting presenters on this - including Miranda Sawyer, and, weirdly, Alison Pearson, now doyenne of the conspiracist right.

Tom Paulin used be brilliant on this programme. His `They are murdering bastards` description of the Parachute regiments actions on Bloody Sunday was a highlight. Never seen him since. The truth hurts.

Ive warmed to GG and his band

Sorry confused of West Sussex about the comparison of Portishead and Salad? Totally different bands as far as my listening tells?

Salad & Elbow are two incredulously dull names to call your band (A Salad's Elbow on the other hand is quite good).

Miranda Sawyer's fine. Knowledgeable, sharp & intelligent I've thought. And Edith Bowman's an absolute poppet, with a lovely voice. So leave her alone.

Capt

Hadn’t seen her for ages, but watched the BBC Pet Shop Boys documentary last night, which was pretty good, and there she was, making reasonable points. The talking heads in this kind of programme are basically paid to make vapid points that can be slotted in anywhere to fill a gap, you can’t really blame them for it given how hard it is to make a living as a music journalist, and she’s far from the worst.

Does Paul Morley still do this kind of thing? He’s about the only one who ever said anything surprising or funny.

I thought the new doc was excellent.’tbe worst bits were the talking heads but thankfully most of it was the PSBs.

advertisement

Back