advertisement

Miranda Sawyer?

There’s a great interest Tennant on ‘Word in your ear’ podcast, bit of a smash hits reunion.
Yes, I enjoyed that on my commute last week, apart from it sounding like they were in a cave. Made me feel old when Neil said he was 69. ‘Word in your ear’ is great listening.

Cheers BB

Yes, I enjoyed that on my commute last week, apart from it sounding like they were in a cave. Made me feel old when Neil said he was 69. ‘Word in your ear’ is great listening.

Cheers BB
Yes, I love it. I used to be a Word subscriber & was a regular on the forum they had, the original podcasts were always very good.

I find Elbow incredibly boring. His radio show is OK. Let’s be honest though, he’s massively winning at life.
So do I, but I have to say that "I split for a tryst, with a Rust Belt girl, with a Plantagenet fringe" is a great lyric. It scans brilliantly and it paints a great picture. His radio show is, as you say, OK. Nowhere near as good as Cerys, not as funny and silly as Radmac, the rest of Sunday afternoon comes and goes. Iggy is good for weird choices and anecdotes.

So do I, but I have to say that "I split for a tryst, with a Rust Belt girl, with a Plantagenet fringe" is a great lyric. It scans brilliantly and it paints a great picture. His radio show is, as you say, OK. Nowhere near as good as Cerys, not as funny and silly as Radmac, the rest of Sunday afternoon comes and goes. Iggy is good for weird choices and anecdotes.
I remember having Iggy on in the car while my teenage daughter was being ferried somewhere, she said with great sincerity, "I hate this persons voice". It's now the first thing I think of, he show is pretty good though.

I remember having Iggy on in the car while my teenage daughter was being ferried somewhere, she said with great sincerity, "I hate this persons voice". It's now the first thing I think of, he show is pretty good though.
I can see how you might dislike the voice, but the stories are something else. Yesterday he was telling a tale about a bluesman: "He's the only one of the blues greats who I missed out on... I have a lot of drugs stories, on this occasion I was waiting for "the man" and "the man" didn't show... by the time he did and I'd got what I needed and got to the show everybody else was leaving, so I never got to see him play."

Hmm. That's fairly toe-curling. Definitely a life that's been lived. Some of these old rockers must be indestructible.

I can see how you might dislike the voice, but the stories are something else. Yesterday he was telling a tale about a bluesman: "He's the only one of the blues greats who I missed out on... I have a lot of drugs stories, on this occasion I was waiting for "the man" and "the man" didn't show... by the time he did and I'd got what I needed and got to the show everybody else was leaving, so I never got to see him play."

Hmm. That's fairly toe-curling. Definitely a life that's been lived. Some of these old rockers must be indestructible.
I'm not sure I 100% believe everything he says.

Fond memories of the show but mostly for Tom Paulin as one cannot have enough Trotskyist Irish poets being paid from the license fee. Was part of my 90s "I will meet cool girls by knowing about the arts" persona which of course was far less successful than the traditional drinking beer and going to Nurses Night at The Conti (shoutout to the South Manchester eternal student lifestyle).

Alison Pearson was in her "I just want to be an amusing tv critic in the style of Mark Lawson" phase and wouldn't go mad for a few years yet. Somewhat oddly, Michael Gove also turned up on some episodes.
Used to really enjoy Tony Parsons as well. I could say “that was before he went mad” too, but looking back he was always a dodgy little UKIP shit.

Used to really enjoy Tony Parsons as well. I could say “that was before he went mad” too, but looking back he was always a dodgy little UKIP shit.
As I recall he went weird after his Dad died and there was something about his Dad being in the army and that's why he went all nationalist and right wing.

advertisement

Back