advertisement

Is lady gaga really a musical genius?

Anyone who champions Madonna in 2011 needs to get a life quite frankly.

it's not a championing of madonna, merely pointing out what gaga's counter-part in another time was "creating", by comparison. don't you find something very odd about a fit, attractive girl that keeps taking her clothes off, yet manages somehow to be sexually undesirable? the expression she wears on her face is a perpetual teenager's "whatever". it's a sad reflection of this new generation of idiots. it's a crime against humanity.

Madonna was just a rip-off Cindy Lauper, who attracted lots of attention by getting her tits out for the lads on a regular basis.

i think you've confused her with samantha fox.

vuk.

don't you find something very odd about a fit, attractive girl that keeps taking her clothes off, yet manages somehow to be sexually undesirable? the expression she wears on her face is a perpetual teenager's "whatever". it's a sad reflection of this new generation of idiots. it's a crime against humanity.

To my mind that's her strongest visual / presentational attribute, and I am absolutely certain it is intentional. It goes a long way to moving her from 'yet another tedious teen idol' to 'art'. This girl ain't a bimbo, she's not playing to established corporate / music industry stereotypes - she is not yet another manufactured teen sex symbol (which she could easily be if she wanted to), she is far more clever than that.

Tony.

She may not be a bimbo but IMO her lack of substance will show through in the end. Shes like the love child of Madonna and Marilyn Manson.

Those are damn fine qualities for a pop star IMO!

indeed. i suppose i have become like the fan parent she is trying to offend ;-)

i just wish there was some political meat to it, as opposed to an elaborate statement of fashion/attitude. you know, i just don't get it. WTF is the matter with these young people: they have been robbed of their inheritance, tricked into two wars, seen their civil liberties taken away ..and what does their culture serve up?

vuk.

i just wish there was some political meat to it, as opposed to an elaborate statement of fashion/attitude. you know, i just don't get it. WTF is the matter with these young people: they have been robbed of their inheritance, tricked into two wars, seen their civil liberties taken away ..and what does their culture serve up?

Gaga is encouraging, positive and can show a surprising degree of humility, a fair chunk of her live show has a kind of Obama-lite meets Oprah kind of 'yes we can' / 'if I can get here anyone can' type message to it, but she's no Bob Dylan by any stretch. Protest music is dead, it became hopelessly worthy, forced, trite and generally BonoStingWomad back in the 1980s and has never recovered since.

Tony.

it's not a championing of madonna, merely pointing out what gaga's counter-part in another time was "creating", by comparison. don't you find something very odd about a fit, attractive girl that keeps taking her clothes off, yet manages somehow to be sexually undesirable? the expression she wears on her face is a perpetual teenager's "whatever". it's a sad reflection of this new generation of idiots. it's a crime against humanity.

i think you've confused her with samantha fox.

vuk.

It seemed like it to me, enough to warrant writing an article in a national newspaper about how superior Madonna was when she started out. At the time she was just a heavily hyped pop star with a fit body, the latter being the only notable asset as I recollect, her attempt to politicize sexuality was reduced to blandness and ineffectiveness in the attempt to be a successful pop star. The song and dance routine was catchy but forgetable.

mat

There was a nice pair of Bonosting three frame cartoons in Vis I wish I'd kept.
Bono's one- "Bono Goes to Outer Space" was about him being waved off to 'reach out' to new galaxies and civilisations in a rocket.
Sting's one- "Sting's Journey to the Bottom of The Sea" had an environmental slant and featured him being waved off in a mini-sub.

I read the online extract of the Paglia article (here) and I agree with Alex Needham in the Guardian (here) that it misses the point to a really quite spectacular extent. She just doesn't get it at all.

Tony.

The guardian article itself doesn't so much miss the point, as completely fail to make one itself. Its a criticism of a critique. An attack on the other hack.

I care not for her. She's a musical Cnut. But, in deference to the artist herself, who is I believe operating amongst a dearth of current pop talent, her true Mark of talent and longevity should become more clear as the years past. Maybe some feel that she is creating either a cultural or a pop dynasty and legacy of impactful material.

my prediction: gaga, all saggy at age 51, with no little monsters left, embraces animal rights with a vengeance. another pop star's (the crystal ball is a little cloudy as to who) illegitimate child--a bisexual, overweight vegan with cocaine habit--is routinely spotted with gaga at parties hosted by a wheel-chair-bound susan sarandon.

vuk.

my prediction: gaga, all saggy at age 51, with no little monsters left, embraces animal rights with a vengeance. another pop star's (the crystal ball is a little cloudy as to who) illegitimate child--a bisexual, overweight vegan with cocaine habit--is routinely spotted with gaga at parties hosted by a wheel-chair-bound susan sarandon.

vuk.
Fair points. A bit like that legend britany spears. Mercurial pop diva etc.

the extra weight seems to have turned her into a proper musical genius at last.

vuk.

What was the thing in the papers about her t'other day/ some trouble she was in? meant to find out.

I'm becoming a little monster I think, although a bit fat, approaching middleaged bit-balding monster is much more myself. And Im not even a big queen either. She's magnificent. Cant remember a song tho, pokerface cant even hum it! o-o-o-ker-ker or summat. oh the shame!

advertisement

Back