advertisement

Is it time to ostracise China?

The only considered objection to it (and I’ve seen several of China’s projects in Africa and Asia) that I’ve heard, was from someone in Laos where they were considering a Chinese-built railway line. Their objection was that China wanted control over a 6km corridor through which their railway would run. You have to see that in the context of what he said later in the conversation- that Lao children were still being killed by munitions dropped by the USA on their tiny country 50 years earlier. 20,000 civilians have been killed alone since the war ended. America dropped 2 million tons of ordinance on a country no bigger than Michiagan. They’re not going to be receptive to complaints of Chinese hegemony from the West.
Vietnam had 3x more ordnance dropped on it by the US than Laos, and their relations with both the US and China do seem reasonably balanced, considering.

On the OT, i don't see how one can ostracize the second largest economy in the world (even if one wanted to). That works both ways, of course (China needs the business, but the tactics that worked with the USSR in the 70s and 80s would probably not work against China this century.

It has to be through diplomacy and concerted pressure internationally. Raab sending an aircraft carrier to the South China Sea at the behest of a deposed NY property grifter was only going to be counterproductive

I try to buy as little from China as possible. I know that’s virtually impossible. I don’t mind paying more for a quality product from elsewhere but it’s very difficult due to the race to the bottom for cheap tat the west is addicted to. I remember an old colleague retuning from a visit to the Foxconn factory, said it was pretty shocking, like a battery farm.

The more I think about C19, the more I think one day we’ll realise it was a deliberate, modern act of war. They don’t need battleships or fighter jets, it’s biological and cyber threats which will destroy the west. China are disciplined and effective, their govt really isn’t worried about losing a relative handful of people to achieve complete and utter carnage in the west which is far from over. When things have settled down, another will appear. Apologies for the pessimism.
Stupidity you mean

I hope the last meeting in Alaska between the US and the CCP was perceived as a final wake up call. What they are doing now to the Uyghurs could be what will happen to people in other countries if they don't bend a knee in front of Xi.

There can only be one religion in China: the Communist Party. Any others are a potential threat.
People in other countries are not a threat to the CP retaining power in China.

If we look at the criteria proposed by the OP then
we would be trading with no one.Why all the sudden
opprobrium for China.We regularly trade with despots.
The US ignores international law and continues to
use extra judicial drone killings.
ps.the US has 500 military bases around the world.

Some very good points here, but not sure about "China's imperialist past" unless you are referring to the domination by the Han and later dynasties of the various groups which comprise China as we know it today. I suppose they could be accused of cultural imperialism given the written language came to dominate the surrounding areas, including Japan. I'm not aware of much foreign military intervention by China, apart from Korea and Vietnam where they were aiding allies.

Yes, that wasn't clear. I was thinking about various dynastic land grabs e.g. by the Qin dynasty.

Last edited:
LOL at the excuse makers on here... they want the UK government hung, drawn and quartered for their handling of the pandemic yet a country that is well versed in serial human rights abuses, has animal cruelty ingrained in their culture and is currently breaching every article of the UN genocide convention in its treatment of Uighurs in Xinjiang is getting the 'other countries are not perfect' excuse. FFS I give up!

Ln2vGM9.jpg

LOL at the excuse makers on here... they want the UK government hung, drawn and quartered for their handling of the pandemic yet a country that is well versed in serial human rights abuses, has animal cruelty ingrained in their culture and is currently breaching every article of the UN genocide convention in its treatment of Uighurs in Xinjiang is getting the 'other countries are not perfect' excuse. FFS I give up!

Yes despicable but it is not our country.
Western Governments can no longer go around the world changing governments they don't like: firstly because they entrench them in power to face a foreign enemy; and secondly, even if successful, they can end up like Libya.
Of course there is zero chance of any external threat removing the CCP from power in China anyway.

You are a capitalist running dog, guilty of Western cultural imperialism! You will be sent to a re-education camp as soon as the Mandate of Heaven is established in this benighted land.

China adds another 'lovely' trend to its ever burgeoning box of animal cruelty:

WARNING: THIS LINK CONTAINS DETAILS AND PICTURES OF EXTREME ANIMAL CRUELTY

China mystery animal box craze causes outrage

Demand is high apparently and yet there is nothing wrong with this nation according to some!

The people who do this sort of thing are not normal, it's not tradition or any other excuse the West chooses to make for these scum. These people (both buyers and sellers) place no value on the lives of the animals they torture... I don't have words for how angry this sort of shit makes me. I hope those involved die slow and excruciatingly painful deaths.

Last edited:

Demand is high apparently and yet there is nothing wrong with this nation according to some!

The people who do this sort of thing are not normal, it's not tradition or any other excuse the West chooses to make for these scum. These people (both buyers and sellers) place no value on the lives of the animals they torture... I don't have words for how angry this sort of shit makes me. I hope those involved die slow and excruciatingly painful deaths.

I can't even bring myself to click on that link.

To be fair it seems there are plenty of Chinese people who find this treatment of animals to be disgraceful. From the BBC article

"On Monday animal rescue group Chengdu Aizhijia Animal Rescue Centre said it had intercepted a vehicle carrying 160 dogs and cats, all under three months old. It said a number of them had died."

"The incident has caused outrage on social media with people calling for a boycott of such boxes and buying animals online. The phrase "pet blind box" has had millions of views on Weibo."

Putting it in reverse it would be a bit like Chinese people concluding that British people are cruel because of a story about badger baiting.

Hopefully as China modernizes its animal treatment will gradually improve. After all live animal exports were only very recently banned in the UK, even though it's a disgusting practice which results in much death and suffering for the animals.

To be fair it seems there are plenty of Chinese people who find this treatment of animals to be disgraceful. From the BBC article

"On Monday animal rescue group Chengdu Aizhijia Animal Rescue Centre said it had intercepted a vehicle carrying 160 dogs and cats, all under three months old. It said a number of them had died."

"The incident has caused outrage on social media with people calling for a boycott of such boxes and buying animals online. The phrase "pet blind box" has had millions of views on Weibo."

Putting it in reverse it would be a bit like Chinese people concluding that British people are cruel because of a story about badger baiting.

Hopefully as China modernizes its animal treatment will gradually improve. After all live animal exports were only very recently banned in the UK, even though it's a disgusting practice which results in much death and suffering for the animals.

Sorry but this is wrong. It is modernising and things are getting worse. Human and animal rights abuses abound. And I don't mean every Chinese person is the same, but as a nation they have a problem.... their culture and their administration. Here is a repost of my earlier contribution:

Here are some examples:
  • Dogs and cats are, amongst other things, boiled, stabbed, drowned, bludgeoned, strangled, poisoned, hanged, and electrocuted...experiencing unbearable pain as their legs are routinely broken while trussed up and hung in local markets for human consumption, or skinned alive and cast off like garbage, for the despicable fur trade.
  • Dogs (both owned and stray) are relentlessly hunted down by 'police authorised' roving mobs and savagely beaten to death by the hundreds of thousands, in the name of 'rabies' control.
  • Bears suffer a lifetime of excruciating pain as they are surgically mutilated and milked each day for their gall bile. Their paws taken as delicacies for the Chinese restaurant trade or ground into powdered 'medicines'. The use of bear parts supplying the traditional Chinese medicine trade and exotic meat market is the major reason why bear species are declining around the world. Endangered species of bears are fast becoming extinct.
  • Rhinos are butchered for their horns and are now highly endangered.
  • Sharks - over 70-100 million sharks per annum are 'finned' and their carcasses dumped into the sea, to accommodate Chinese' growing taste for shark fin soup.
  • Turtles - 20 million turtles are devoured in China per annum. Slaughtered alive & fully conscious, their heads are decapitated and crushed. Two thirds of the world's turtles are now threatened with extinction.
  • Elephants - elephant tusks are carved into ivory trinkets - their feet hacked off for stools and coffee table legs.
  • Seals - China's role in the single, largest mass butchery of marine mammals on Earth, the annual Canadian seal slaughter, happens in part, so that dried seal penises can be turned into aphrodisiacs to "theoretically" increase the libidos of elderly men engaging in sex (there is an even more sinister element to this, but let's not go there right now)
  • Zoo slaughter - live domestic pets, as well as cows and chickens, are fed to lions and tigers for the "entertainment" of visitors at Chinese zoos. Zoo officials encourage guests to buy domestic animals on the premises, and feed them to the carnivores through special vending flaps fitted onto tourist buses...allowing individuals to throw chickens and other live animals to the waiting predators.
  • Animals are used as "dried" ingredients in traditional Chinese 'medicines' and killed in the billions such as tiger parts, crocodile bile, deer musk, sea horses, lizards, sea cucumbers, powdered antlers, dog penis, pangolin (scaly anteaters), only to name a few on a seemingly unending list. All are considered no more than 'products' to be abused and murdered in the most monstrous ways possible, even if it means permanently wiping many of these species from the face of the planet in order to fulfill often frivolous, antiquated and selfish needs.
  • Chinese traditional 'medicine' industry - a nonsense hocus pocus, and not grounded in any form of science, practice that routinely involves cruelty to animals or hunting them to extinction from the large (e.g. tigers) to the small (e.g. pangolins).
Obviously I am not blaming the entire nation of Chinese people in general and I am not absolving the West from many of their own practices that are less than pleasant towards animals and must also be addressed, but as I have said before China is on a whole other level and the government and a proportion of the population do think much of the above is acceptable. It isn't!!!

Not sure they could feed their 1.4 b population without importing thousands tonnes of grain from around the world.

Thats why they are buying land in S.America and Africa, along with everyone else.

I try to buy as little from China as possible. I know that’s virtually impossible. I don’t mind paying more for a quality product from elsewhere but it’s very difficult due to the race to the bottom for cheap tat the west is addicted to. I remember an old colleague retuning from a visit to the Foxconn factory, said it was pretty shocking, like a battery farm.

I have seen a few Chinese factories and they were ok, European or American owned. I also have colleagues who have seen the later Foxconn factories who said they were fine, the earlier ones as you say, were bad. Now they have problems getting enough workers, apart from the forced Uighers, so workers no longer have to put up with poor conditions. Also in the four years the U.K. has been peeing about with Brexit China has gone from about the same number of robots per manufacturing worker as the U.K. to double.

The more I think about C19, the more I think one day we’ll realise it was a deliberate, modern act of war. They don’t need battleships or fighter jets, it’s biological and cyber threats which will destroy the west. China are disciplined and effective, their govt really isn’t worried about losing a relative handful of people to achieve complete and utter carnage in the west which is far from over. When things have settled down, another will appear. Apologies for the pessimism.

AFAIA there is no real evidence that China deliberately introduced CoVid, it’s possible but all the evidence says it’s not likely. The big problem is that China has become much more authoritarian and with the usual problems, applicable to all political systems but more so in authoritarian regimes, that everyone tells those above what they want to here.

Q:“Can we take back Taiwan quickly”
A:”Yes”
Q:”Will America come to Taiwan’s aid?”
A:”No”
Q:”If they do could we inflict enough damage on them to make them retreat?”
A:”Yes”

The world will be in an even worse place than it is now.

advertisement

Back