Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Is it time for all motor vehicles to be fitted with a black box?

Discussion in 'off topic' started by S-Man, Jul 20, 2021.

1. Puggie

Puggie pfm Member

Guildford, so sort of, we have a cathedral next door, but not really a big city. Students are actively discouraged from car ownership if living on campus, but years ago most had driving licenses but not cars at uni, now many less actually have the license at all.

Most students are on campus, if you are in Guildford, it's cycle/walkable. Cycling through morning traffic was never fun though with kids bring driven half a mile to school.

2. S-Man

S-Man Kinkless Tetrode Admirer

Whenever I've driven in London the driving has been too slow to be aggressive :D.

Actually I would say that Birmingham is THE most aggressive place to drive in the UK.

tiggers likes this.
  3. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr Well, I can dream, can’t I?

Yes, the M60 can be crap, not unlike the M25 sometimes. My sympathies.

4. deebster

deebster Half Man Half Biscuit

It certainly doesn't fill me with joy driving in my home town these days. Some parts are like being in a dodgy video game.

5. S-Man

S-Man Kinkless Tetrode Admirer

How about driving in Bradford? There are plenty of "subroutines" there!

6. Barrymagrec

Barrymagrec pfm Member

I haven`t driven in Manchester since 1976 - is it better now?

7. Guinnless

Guinnless pfm Member

8. Seeker_UK

Seeker_UK Booyakashah, check out my avatar...

9. Guinnless

Guinnless pfm Member

Or Charles Babbage...

A computer with storage was a significant development. And indeed for many ZX81 owners with 16k RAM packs was something to be cherished

10. misterdog

misterdog Not the canine kind

From the RAC foundation.

From 2015 traffic is forecast to grow by between 17 per cent and 51 per cent by 2050. The growth in traffic levels is predominately driven by the projected growth in population levels (and thus the number of trips) and decreases in vehicle running costs

Car traffic is forecast to grow between 11 per cent and 43 per cent by 2050, whilst van traffic is forecast to continue growing significantly in all scenarios (between 23 per cent and 108 per cent). HGV traffic growth is forecast to be lower than 7 other vehicle types, with growth ranging from 5 per cent to 12 per cent by 2050.

Congestion is forecast to grow as a result of increases in traffic. The proportion of traffic in congested conditions in 2050 is forecast to range from 8 per cent to 16 per cent depending on the scenario. The average car journey taking 17 minutes in 2015 could increase to 20 minutes in 2050.

The average speed during all periods is forecast to fall from 34mph in 2015 to as low as 31mph. The average delay per vehicle mile during all periods is forecast to increase by up to approximately 11 seconds per mile (69 per cent) by 2050.

11. Puggie

Puggie pfm Member

Fair enough, the RAC should have an idea of what is going on here.

12. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Bradford driving is awful. Orders of magnitude worse than Leeds.

Thorn likes this.
  13. MJS

MJS Technical Tinkerer

Colossus - World's first programmable, electronic, digital computer.
    Manchester SSEM (Baby) - World's first Stored program computer. Actually a test bed for the Williams Tube random access memory.

Both firsts in their own way.

I'm close to the National Museum of Computing at Bletchley Park. I think @Tony L can tell us a lot about the Baby, too.

Back to the OP, I'm not a fan of Black boxes as I foresee a future in which any insurance payout is going to be questioned because you were driving 0.1 MPH over the speed limit, or didn't stop long enough at that Stop sign. I see the value in dash-cams, but they seem to only exist for shaming purposes on YouTube these days.

14. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

TNMOC is an amazing place, I’ve only been once, but got the full geek tour, got to play with the Harwell Dekatron etc. I really need to get back there as I want to play with their new EDSAC replica (I know people involved in the build).

Yes, though I’d personally argue describing Colossus as ‘programmable’ was a bit of a conceptual stretch. It was a bespoke device designed from the ground up to tackle a very specific problem; breaking the Lorenz code. A fixed process machine with adjustable parameters. It is an amazing thing, genuinely astonishing (I’ve seen it demonstrated at length), but conceptually it is an entirely different thing to the SSEM/‘Manchester Baby’. If you think of the basic building blocks of computing (Von Neumann Architecture) Colossus doesn’t make the grade, whereas Baby does. It was the first over that line.

PS The optical paper tape drive of Colossus is astonishing. It is so much faster than one would ever believe possible, especially if your mental image is of paper tape clacking slowly away being read by mechanical feelers (as mine was). Certainly something to see demonstrated at a visit to TNMOC.

MJS and Sue Pertwee-Tyr like this.
  15. Paul L

Paul L coffee lounge for me

Law abiding citizens generally have nothing to fear from surveillance or national identity cards and are grateful for it in anticipating or following up on crime…

S-Man likes this.
  16. Paul L

Ouch Ian, many cyclists deserve that and embarrass cycling en masse but some of us really try to be good pedalers. Visible clothing, lights even in summer on tree lined country roads, helmets, insurance, patience, sensible riding, thanking car drivers etc.

17. Paul L

Same here with my TT roadster, speed not a priority as every journey feels like an adventure. I joke with my mates I’ll probably get thrown out of any Audi club as I’m averaging about 45mpg!

18. wylton

wylton Naim and Mana member

Is that a joke? I had no help what so ever from the police when I had my bag stolen, but it took no time at all to issue a £133 fine for parking outside a shop for less that 5 minutes.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2021
  19. tiggers

tiggers pfm Member

Ahem, as the old cliche says, it's a limit, not a target!

20. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr Well, I can dream, can’t I?

We’ll yes, to a point. The thing is, though, that if conditions are such that driving at the limit is safe and responsible, driving significantly below the limit is driving without consideration for other road users. Whether the conditions are safe is a matter of personal assessment, but if you regularly drive well below the 30mph limit, there may be a question as to your overall fitness to drive.

MartinC likes this.