advertisement

Is it time for all motor vehicles to be fitted with a black box?

For:
The roads are getting ever more congested and contested.
Modern cars are just too fast for their purpose. And they are getting bigger.
There seems to be a lot of dangerous "leisure" driving going on.
Pollution is a big problem.
"The car is King" needs to be changed

Against:
Civil liberty

I think it's time.

No. Massive overhead for enforcement and monitoring. Just progressively tax them out of existence.

Then they should knock down their house and build a car park. If you stop people driving, a world in which you don't have to drive will develop.
Isn't it better to encourage people with positive stuff, like free buses, bicycle paths etc.

I don't think fascism really works for me.

I don't drive in Strasbourg at all, as the bike paths are amazing

I don't cycle in England because the bike path network in east Yorkshire is shit.

Then they should knock down their house and build a car park. If you stop people driving, a world in which you don't have to drive will develop.

I'll be the first to admit that car ownership is getting out of control. I was wondering if you could have a system whereby the number of drivers is kept to a fixed limit & then, you could only get a licence when another driver either revokes theirs or passes away.

Given the number of car drivers insisting they'll never drive an electric vehicle, I think the problem may well solve itself.

But it's a thorny old subject, with no easy answers, other than pricing SUVs off the road for aesthetic as much as for environmental reasons.

If you stop people driving, a world in which you don't have to drive will develop.

I do think things have gone too far and we need to reprioritise.

It is quite astonishing how much money people spend on cars (and then how keen they are to spend as little time in them as possible by driving as fast as possible). Some of the cost of the vehicles and the infrastructure could surely be better spent.
I was down in Dorset week or two back and was struck by how much more courteous the driving was there. There were a lot fewer Chelsea tractors and most cars were older than here in Leeds. The boy racers there were actually boy racers, not mid life crisis men in £1m cars with silly exhaust noises like round here.
It made for a much more pleasant driving experience.

Maybe we need a horsepower tax instead of black boxes?

Ban SUV's etc first of all then ban second cars then make public transport free. In fact lock em up! SUV owners that is! And bring back capital punishment for Range Rover Vogue owners! Crucifixions too good for 'em!:D

I have two black boxes: one supplied by my insurance company and a second one supplied by the motorway company, which is used for tolls - no need to grab a ticket and to insert the Visa card.
Nice tracking devices.

I have two black boxes: one supplied by my insurance company and a second one supplied by the motorway company, which is used for tolls - no need to grab a ticket and to insert the Visa card.
Nice tracking devices.
What happens when you accidentally go over the speed limit?

For:
The roads are getting ever more congested and contested.
Modern cars are just too fast for their purpose. And they are getting bigger.
There seems to be a lot of dangerous "leisure" driving going on.
Pollution is a big problem.
"The car is King" needs to be changed

Against:
Civil liberty

I think it's time.
Did someone overtake you??!

Help enforce the speed limits.

I think this would be difficult legally. GPS is not infallible, and can be off by tens of meters, and occasionally many kilometers, particularly in cities. Plus how would you prove who was driving at the time ? I think this is why it has not been attempted sooner, and why the "old" technology of speed cameras is still used - because you can be certain of the precise location and time of the camera, the speed can be shown to be calibrated, and you get a photo of the driver.

May the fleas of a thousand camels infest the nether regions of all who actually WANT to impose obedience, authority, conformance, surveillance etc on others! (Apart from when I agree with it natch:D).

If it were up to me I would ban all speed cameras and rip them all out, along with ANPR cameras.

Then I'd ban golf:D

Just another way to keep tabs on plebs, it’s becoming virtually impossible to live off grid nowadays, big brother is watching, listening, and reading my Mail.
The if you’ve got nothing to hide why worry attitude is fine till the they knock on your door!
But they’ve conned people into being constantly monitored via insurance apps, be fit, drive safe,save money, big brother.

Son had a black fitted , within 4 weeks we had texts saying he was driving too fast and threatening to cancel.

Let's face you can't drive like an old lady in a city and survive well so we hate the things . We got it disconnected . A VERY expensive mistake getting it fitted

advertisement

Back