advertisement

Is it time for all motor vehicles to be fitted with a black box?

I do think that the stupid practice of allowing people with 12 points to keep their license if they show proof of resulting ‘extreme hardship’ is an utter nonsense. How many many chances do people need to change their behaviour? Quite simply they should be banned.

I do think that the stupid practice of allowing people with 12 points to keep their license if they show proof of resulting ‘extreme hardship’ is an utter nonsense. How many many chances do people need to change their behaviour? Quite simply they should be banned.

Ah yes - the courts can be very 'sympathetic' to that kind of thing... The art is to ensure such drivers are behaving after such leniency has been shown...

Ah yes - the courts can be very 'sympathetic' to that kind of thing... The art is to ensure such drivers are behaving after such leniency has been shown...
Yes, you will know of rather extreme examples of people with well over 12 points still being able to drive. We are too lenient in this regard.

Keeping your license once 12 points have been accrued is unusual. I really wouldn’t worry about it. And usually, the defendant has to show that a ban would severely affect the life of someone else, eg an ageing relative, not just the offender.

Keeping your license once 12 points have been accrued is unusual. I really wouldn’t worry about it. And usually, the defendant has to show that a ban would severely affect the life of someone else, eg an ageing relative, not just the offender.
You would be surprised, the numbers are quite high. Only takes one irresponsible idiot to take a life.

You would be surprised, the numbers are quite high. Only takes one irresponsible idiot to take a life.

Two unconnected points.

Do you have data to compare numbers of those who are banned and those who aren’t? I’ve been driving for 39 years, and I can’t recall knowing anyone who has kept their license at 12 points.

According to DVLA there are over 8000 drivers with more than 12 points https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money...ers-escape-ban-despite-racking-12-points.html

This wasn't my sphere of expertise during the latter part of my service. I did investigate police collisions from a discipline perspective, but my other traffic stuff took a side street to community and public order stuff.

However, the courts and leniency is a controversial topic. One persons consideration is another's ridicule.

This wasn't my sphere of expertise during the latter part of my service. I did investigate police collisions from a discipline perspective, but my other traffic stuff took a side street to community and public order stuff.

However, the courts and leniency is a controversial topic. One persons consideration is another's ridicule.
It’s not an insignificant number.

I agree. However I don't know the context on total number of offenders facing a ban for accumulating 12 or more points, who were then actually banned, compared to those that were not.
It will be a very small % but it’s still a significant number.

Perhaps there needs to be more jeopardy. If you get to keep your licence despite 12 points, the next endorseable offence while you’re on 12 points gets you a month’s jail time.

Oh God, that makes me sound like Priti Patel.

advertisement

Back