advertisement

Is it time for all motor vehicles to be fitted with a black box?

S-Man

Kinkless Tetrode Admirer
For:
The roads are getting ever more congested and contested.
Modern cars are just too fast for their purpose. And they are getting bigger.
There seems to be a lot of dangerous "leisure" driving going on.
Pollution is a big problem.
"The car is King" needs to be changed

Against:
Civil liberty

I think it's time.

The trouble is, the motorists gets hit from all angles. I got a £133 fine last week for parking outside of a shop that I was in for less than 5 minutes & our neighbouring borough has a universal speed limit of 20mph. I'll say no more, but definitely against.

I think that finding a space to park your car will be the biggest issue, with house prices so high, people are extending their houses &the amount of residents per household is on the increase with multi-car occupancy on the increase to the point where some households have up to 5 cars. Add to that, the lack of affordable social housing means that kids are leaving home later & later and they all have cars too. I think that the car is king mantra ended a long time ago. Some Boroughs are making up for the lack of central government funding, by making war on car drivers. We're just a few miles from the London Low Emissions Zone, with the Congestion Zone just a few miles further on. You ought to able to concentrate on your driving but no, you have to look out for speed traps, bus lanes, red routes; I could go on and on (and on). No, No & Thrice No!

Last edited:
Only if a company dedicated to manufacturing, fitting and monitoring of such devices, can be created by the mistress of a Tory minister and win the Govt. contract in a closed 'competition', but with no hint of corruption.

So yes... :D:D:D:D:D

Easily done with the shower of sh*t that we have in charge at the moment!

Bigger things to concern ourselves with at the moment. Perhaps if road deaths and serious injuries start going up, but otherwise no.

It is two years since I parted with my last car, a little 2002 Skoda Fabia 1.9 SDI

Though it was an excellent car with extra-ordinary fuel economy, I was glad to see it go. Repairs on VAG cars are prohibitively expensive ...

Living in a rural area, with no railway stations within nine miles, and a very infrequent bus service, not having a car does lead to some problems and additional planning, but I cannot afford a car.

I am certainly not interested in being anti-car as a philosophy, but I do think we shall very soon [sooner than most realise] have to reconsider the position of the last five decades where car ownership was viewed more or less as a right. The environmental damage that powered personal transportation causes is at some point going to weighed against private cars of any sort.

Even battery electric vehicles are not immune to this. A very large proportion of the CO2 emissions produced in its lifetime by any car are those from its initial manufacture.

This truth will not be popular among rural dwellers, petrol heads, and others who need or are enthusiastic for private cars.

On the other hand, I am definitely not in favour of "holier than thou" punitive restrictions on car use. Only an environmental Tax that reflects the true environmental cost for making and running such vehicles. The same applies to air travel. The cost of flights absolutely does not correlate to the environmental impact they have.

Just tuppence' worth from George

For:
The roads are getting ever more congested and contested.
Modern cars are just too fast for their purpose. And they are getting bigger.
There seems to be a lot of dangerous "leisure" driving going on.
Pollution is a big problem.
"The car is King" needs to be changed

Against:
Civil liberty

I think it's time.
And the "black box" will do what to resolve your suggested issues

One of our cars has a black box. In many ways it is quite relaxing to drive - there is no option but to obey speed limits. The roads actually seem less congested when you don't drive on the bumper of the car in front! Journey times are unaffected.
The only stress comes from the odd tosser who flashes his lights at you because you are travelling at the speed limit.

I swear down if it ever happens I will be buying whatever device is available to outfox the box.

The box will be fitted with a device causing it to explode if tampered with. (This is secret info btw so don't go blabbing about it).

I think that finding a space to park your car will be the biggest issue, with house prices so high, people are extending their houses &the amount of residents per household is on the increase with multi-car occupancy i on the increase to the point where some households have up to 5 cars. Add to that, the lack of affordable social housing means that kids are leaving home later & later and they all have cars too. I think that the car is king mantra ended a long time ago. Some Boroughs are making up for the lack of central government funding, by making war on car drivers. We're just a few miles from the London Low Emissions Zone, with the Congestion Zone just a few miles further on. You ought to able to concentrate on your driving but no, you have to look out for speed traps, bus lanes, red routes; I could go on and on (and on). No, No & Thrice No!

Personally, I think car owners should keep their cars on their own property and not rely on public funds to provide valuable road and pavement space for the purpose. Bloody scroungers.

Personally, I think car owners should keep their cars on their own property and not rely on public funds to provide valuable road and pavement space for the purpose.

That's in a ideal world, but not everybody has a drive (we do), & even those that do often have drive space for one or two cars & keep the other three on the road outside somebody else's house!

That's in a ideal world, but not everybody has a drive (we do), & even those that do often have drive space for one or two cars & keep the other three on the road outside somebody else's house!

Then they should knock down their house and build a car park. If you stop people driving, a world in which you don't have to drive will develop.

advertisement

Back