advertisement

Is it still safe to fly ?

Many airlines won't even have their training/check out pilots putting in enough hours in the air. Totally depending on simulators is just not good enough.
I have not seen it mentioned, but ATC will also have big issues with rustiness

Rusty pilots or complacent pilots, both just as dangerous.
One of my favourite expressions goes like this:

"The superior pilot uses his superior judgement to avoid situations which would require the use of his superior skills"

You can do an awful lot with simulators these days, so provided airlines adopt a sensible approach to 'de-rusting' aircrew, which I'd be confident the US and European based carriers will, I'd not anticipate significant issues here. The problem is probably more acute when your airline is staffed with relatively inexperienced crews. Veterans will take this sort of hiatus in their stride, but junior crew, or inexperienced captains, might benefit from a little extra support as they get back into a more normal schedule.

I think the OP is quite optimistic if he is planning on flying in February. That said US and European airlines won't be ramping their services back up that soon so the pilots and aircraft used will be the ones that have been kept flying. I am going to wait until this time next year before I fly to give the airlines the summer to get themselves going properly again.

Many airlines won't even have their training/check out pilots putting in enough hours in the air. Totally depending on simulators is just not good enough.
I have not seen it mentioned, but ATC will also have big issues with rustiness
Simulator training augments live hours in the seat ATC arena too, at least it did a few years ago.

I think the OP is quite optimistic if he is planning on flying in February. That said US and European airlines won't be ramping their services back up that soon so the pilots and aircraft used will be the ones that have been kept flying. I am going to wait until this time next year before I fly to give the airlines the summer to get themselves going properly again.
I agree about February.
Easyjet cancelled my February flight to Venice for the carnival about a month ago and unless there is a change in covid virulence we won’t be allowed into the EU anyway as a third state country as things stand.

Last edited:

advertisement

Back