advertisement

Is it "nuclear"? Or is it a "rocket"?

Not likely when Trump's in the Whitehouse.

“Several months ago, a foreign policy expert on the international level went to advise Donald Trump. And three times [Trump] asked about the use of nuclear weapons. Three times he asked at one point if we had them why can’t we use them,” Scarborough said on his “Morning Joe” program.

People persuade themselves that extreme damage is 'survivable' one way or another and worth the pain—look at Brexit.

I could easily see a Trump or other populist leader drum up support to use these things. And once used, I suspect there's no going back.

Stephen
We need a Godwin's law for Brexit! :rolleyes:

We need a Godwin's law for Brexit! :rolleyes:

As I recall mentioning the tendency for people to bring up the Nazis on IRC and Usenet in the late '80s—well before Godwin wrote about it—I suggest we call it Bennett's Law.

However, my point still stands.

Look how Rudd has now persuaded herself that no-deal is now manageable rather than, as she had previously remarked, would “do generational damage to our economy and security”.

All you need to do is move your moral goalposts (in this case after cushy job offer) and anything becomes potentially achievable (even desirable)—including the apocalypse.

Stephen

Not likely when Trump's in the Whitehouse.

“Several months ago, a foreign policy expert on the international level went to advise Donald Trump. And three times [Trump] asked about the use of nuclear weapons. Three times he asked at one point if we had them why can’t we use them,” Scarborough said on his “Morning Joe” program.

People persuade themselves that extreme damage is 'survivable' one way or another and worth the pain—look at Brexit.

I could easily see a Trump or other populist leader drum up support to use these things. And once used, I suspect there's no going back.

Stephen

Never mind the number of dead, if he thinks his hair will get mussed, he won't do it

As I recall mentioning the tendency for people to bring up the Nazis on IRC and Usenet in the late '80s—well before Godwin wrote about it—I suggest we call it Bennett's Law.

However, my point still stands.

Look how Rudd has now persuaded herself that no-deal is now manageable rather than, as she had previously remarked, would “do generational damage to our economy and security”.

All you need to do is move your moral goalposts (in this case after cushy job offer) and anything becomes potentially achievable (even desirable)—including the apocalypse.

Stephen

Had Gavin the fireplace salesman still been in charge of the MOD he’d claim nuclear war with Russia is winnable.

He'll be telling those pesky state schools to "go away and shut up" when they start complaining about the austerity+ cuts.

Maybe he'll be more understanding about the leaks?

Stephen

Stephen

Just as an aside, Rudd is my MP. Her majority was 346 at the last election in this Tory -Labour marginal seat. I'm looking forward to the next GE when I will hold my nose and vote Labour.

This is so depressing.

Humanity has photographed the dark side of Pluto and yet back here on earth we continue to devise ever more destructive and grotesque weapons.

It's a race I guess; will our better selves gain the upper hand before our base fears and prejudice seal our doom?

When I see Putin, Trump, Johnson, Bolsonaro, et al 'in charge' I realise the odds are not good

Doug

advertisement

Back