advertisement

Is it goosed!

Dvddvd

pfm Member
My daughter has a canon EOS4000D camera which i bought her for xmas.

She went to a party with it in her bag and a can of cider exploded soaking it.

i took lens off and battery out and dried it for a few days and did the rice in a bag thing.

Initially it would not work then it started to work but strange things happened like taking photos on its own.

Then stopped working......

It was bought from John Lewis so took it back all innocent, they said it would take 7-14 days to have a look at it. i phoned them up after 14 days to be told its been sent abroad to the main HQ to have it looked at more ... whats our chances?

My daughter has a canon EOS4000D camera which i bought her for xmas.

She went to a party with it in her bag and a can of cider exploded soaking it.

i took lens off and battery out and dried it for a few days and did the rice in a bag thing.

Initially it would not work then it started to work but strange things happened like taking photos on its own.

Then stopped working......

It was bought from John Lewis so took it back all innocent, they said it would take 7-14 days to have a look at it. i phoned them up after 14 days to be told its been sent abroad to the main HQ to have it looked at more ... whats our chances?
Depends on how generous JL are feeling. Liquid damage is definitely outside of any normal warranty but they may do it anyway if you’re lucky. If they refuse to fix it, a damage report would be useful, if the liquid has only gotten at the control PCB, then a repair might be viable, if it’s gotten deeper and affected optical, mechanical and the main board that does the image processing, you’d probably be better off buying a new body and selling yours for spares.

Pretty poor I would say. Fluid damage will be easy to spot in a service centre.

It might be insured 'all risks' on your household insurance. Well worth checking out.

The rice thing is internet bollocks. Here’s computer repair tech Louis Rossmann to explain:

The problem is a) corrosion, b) sticky goo, and c) the relationship between corrosion and sticky goo, especially where voltage is present. Even if you have got a temporary reprieve it is almost certain that without a proper strip-down and ultrasonic cleaning/servicing it will fail sometime later.

PS Louis is a bit sweary, he’s right though!

The rice thing is internet bollocks. Here’s computer repair tech Louis Rossmann to explain:

The problem is a) corrosion, b) sticky goo, and c) the relationship between corrosion and sticky goo, especially where voltage is present. Even if you have got a temporary reprieve it is almost certain that without a proper strip-down and ultrasonic cleaning/servicing it will fail sometime later.
I’ve wasted so much breath telling people that... in internet land, people on Facebook know more than electronic engineers about this stuff. I mean, just because I design/manufacture PCBs, it doesn’t mean I know more than Kev and Jodie on Facebook.:D

As well as corrosion/goo, many components, especially microprocessors, really don’t like stray voltages/shorts that liquid spills cause and even if you were to remove power immediately and clean everything throughly, thus avoiding any corrosion and/or goo, there’s still no guarantee that your device won’t have blown components that’ll need replacing to revive it.

I doubt you’ll see it again. They retail new at £220 on Amazon, which isn’t going to allow anything in the way of spare parts and manhours, especially after the possible cost of opening it up and inspecting £50?). I’d say it’s beyond economic repair no matter what has happened.

Oh well.

advertisement

Back