advertisement

Is electronic speed control possible with a 240v motor on a Rega?

Well, thanks to this thread a Heed Orbit 2 has been offered at an extremely generous price - so my problem is solved :)

Jez, I read your suggestion to my adcom amps, and they're now shaking with fear.... My laptop isn't too happy either!

:) In the form I described, although Heath Robinson without a doubt, if should work very well:D Obvs although the amp needs to be 75W+ @ 8R in order to do the Volts it would only be delivering say 3W and should run pretty cool....
If you have say a <0.01% THD amp and <0.01% THD sine wave from the PC, its frequency derived from the PC's quartz clock, that's a pretty low distortion and accurate TT PSU;)
With a little ingenuity I guess you could use stereo channels of the power amp to drive each phase of the motor... and with the right sine generator app be able to generate the sine waves with control of relative phase and level to optimise any motor:) I'll bet its been done. it's not rocket science. A sound card, a pot for fine control of level, a £70-ish Chinese Behringer or similar 150WPC shit PA amp and you have one hell of a potential 24V AC TT PSU with every parameter adjustable at your PC screen:)
Hmm.. some surplus 100V line transformers like almost every one must have laying around :)D:rolleyes:) could step it up so it works with "240V" motors:)
I’ve looked at doing this with some simple custom software on a small, low powered single board computer basic display and controls (along with a fine speed and torque adjustment feature) but having some experience with bringing a product to market (it’s a huge amount of effort and expense), it just isn’t worth it for the size of the target market.

There is a project over on DIYAudio for an AC speed speed controller.
Many turntables run a little fast on exactly 50 Hz mains

Looking at these project threads, I get the impression that some folk unnecessarily get their knickers in a knot over as little as ±0.1 RPM deviation from 33.33, rather than over outright speed instability.

Two completely different issues; one quite noticeable, the other not so much, if you catch my drift.

Looking at these project threads, I get the impression that some folk unnecessarily get their knickers in a knot over as little as ±0.1 RPM deviation from 33.33, rather than over outright speed instability.

Two completely different issues; one quite noticeable, the other not so much, if you catch my drift.
Indeed, I’m really sensitive to pitch variations so for me, speed stability is absolutely the most important thing, then low noise, then outright speed accuracy.

I’ve looked at doing this with some simple custom software on a small, low powered single board computer basic display and controls (along with a fine speed and torque adjustment feature) but having some experience with bringing a product to market (it’s a huge amount of effort and expense), it just isn’t worth it for the size of the target market.

I designed a single phase all analogue one with very low distortion and regulated output voltage (also suitable as super quality mains regenerator for low power loads). As you say there isn't a big enough market.

Short term stability of the mains has worsened due to the shift to wind and solar. Ten years ago frequency error was never anywhere near the limits

advertisement

Back