advertisement

Is Chris Rea Really That Underrated?

One of those artists that for me, I will hear the odd track somewhere and enjoy it, but can't really see myself buying an album and listening through it. Still have more time for him than some of the other stuff swilling around.

Seen live a few times, Sheffield City Hall sticks in the mind, he appeared to decide the audience where up for it, and played his socks off. One of the best live shows I have seen, in one of the nicest venues. The good part about the thread is, I very much doubt if Mr Rea gives a flying **** what any of us thinks.
I happen to know Mr Rea looks in here on a regular basis and is quite devastated to learn Mr Still isn't a huge fan.

Given him a spin a few times. The music really isn't for me, thank you kindly.

The gravely bluesy Rea stuff is on paper a dead fit for my tastes, but didn't catch my ears in practice.
I must admit to first listening to pre-late 70s music with a big punk rock chip on my shoulder.
When I got to my mid 20s (at end of 80s) I revisited pretty much everything.
Some music e.g. Hendrix, John Mayall, CCR, Led Zep, I couldn't believe what I'd been missing. But some isn't for me.

Just enjoying, "Dancing Down The Stony Road." Once I hear one of his albums, I always end up playing more.

Sadly, it would seem a combination of ill health and age indicates there might not be many more new recordings.

advertisement

Back