advertisement

Is anyone using an external OVF...and enjoying it?

tuga

Legal Alien
I am looking for a pocketable camera with a viewfinder that I can have with me at all times but only the Sony RX100, the Canon G5 X mk2 and the Panasonic GM5 have an EFV and they're too small so not easy to use for a glass wearer like myself.

Is anyone using an external OVF and enjoying it?

It would expand the options somewhat, though not many pocketable cameras sport a hot shoe.
I may give the Ricoh GR3 a try, 28mm is too wide for me but it provides a couple of crop modes (35mm and 50mm).

I had a film GR1S many moons ago...

I have an Olympus compact with a external electronic viewfinder - so not quite the same thing if the thing you are looking at is truly an optical - but it does transform the usability of the camera for me. you can hold and compose 'properly' rather than wave around squinting at a screen, especially in sunny conditions. But I lose the flash shoe when using it. Not a problem for me, as I rarely shoot indoors with a camera - a phone (now an Iphone 12 Pro Max) will usually do a good, or even better, job.

I have an Olympus compact with a external electronic viewfinder - so not quite the same thing if the thing you are looking at is truly an optical - but it does transform the usability of the camera for me. you can hold and compose 'properly' rather than wave around squinting at a screen, especially in sunny conditions. But I lose the flash shoe when using it. Not a problem for me, as I rarely shoot indoors with a camera - a phone (now an Iphone 12 Pro Max) will usually do a good, or even better, job.

I wouldn't mind an electronic viewfinder, though they might be more expensive.
Which Olympus compact and EVF are you using?

Is an X100 series camera too big, has switchable OVF/EVF, certainly I find it goes in most coat pockets find, but its not as small as the others that you have highlighted (but they will be physically bigger with an external OVF) and obviously is a fixed FOV

Is an X100 series camera too big, has switchable OVF/EVF, certainly I find it goes in most coat pockets find, but its not as small as the others that you have highlighted (but they will be physically bigger with an external OVF) and obviously is a fixed FOV

The X100 is quite big, it's even bigger than the X-E4. The X30 is quite big too and aparently not much of a performer.
I am looking for someting that can go in my trousers' back pocket.
But I wouldn't mind a Fujifilm, the X-T1 was the best digital camera I've used to date.

Two things I love about the X-T1 are the metering switch and the large EVF.

And Fujifilm's Auto ISO implementation works really well in Av mode.

Torn between two cameras right now, the GR III with a hotshoe optical finder or a reasonably recent A6X00 with a manual pancake...Only one is really pocketable though.
Or maybe a Fujifilm, I've already bought the X-T1 twice. But I really want something pocketable.

P1011607-600x400.jpg

Sony-A6300-shooting.jpg

I have been playing with an external optical viewfinder on my new GRIII.

It's quite fun, actually, I've turned off the LCD display and instant review so it's almost like shooting film.

I've got an Olympus micro 4/3 camera with an external EVF and while it's ok I tend to find I pretty much never use it, instead I have a couple of compacts with built in EVF's (an RX100 Mk3 and a Panasonic TZ-100) which I use a lot more.

The Olympus external finder isn't really noticeably better than the one on the RX100, however they're both a fair bit better than the one on the TZ-100 although that's actually the camera I use the most of the 3.

I use a Canon EOS M6 Mk II which comes in an outfit with an external electronic viewfinder. Overall my preference is to compose using the screen on the back of the camera and I use the viewfinder perhaps 1% of the time. The viewfinder is adequate. Results from the camera are excellent overall and broadly comparable to full frame except the depth of field is better.

advertisement

Back